Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, everytime I change the strings on my RG 3120 the bridge gets screwed up. Like it is pulling back too much or not enough or it never stay in tune, take your pick it's happened. Now I use the exact same strings and I just had it set-up by a technician so things should have been fine. But I put new strings on and the bridge its pulling back too much. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but should the guitar do this? My faith in Floyds is leaving me quick. Please help!

PS I'm using Thomastik Power - Brights .009 - .042

·
Registered
20 Posts
Find a new tech. I have had to correct many problems similar to yours from friends who use bad techs. Best advice is to find someone who can correctly teach you or just learn through trial and error. It will save you time, money, and hassle to do it yourself. There are several sites around that will give you more than enough instruction. Good luck :wink:

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Oh god I wish the internet was around when I got my first Edge-equipped axe. Nobody ever told me not to take all the strings off at once, or that if I tried to tune down to C# for Sabbath Bloody Sabbath I'd actually end up at about F#! I had to learn all that stuff through trial and error because nobody knew how to handle a guitar like that where I lived.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Same goes to me Petie... Nobaody told me above Flyod Rose's and i ended up taking of all the strings everytime i change them, using different gauges everytime, and ended up in trouble everytime!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
happily, my case was the opposite.....I memorized everything I found here for years before getting an Edge...sweet from day one;)

·
Registered
690 Posts
I may be the only person around here who takes strings all off, every time, whithout hassles. There's no other way to /completely/ clean an instrument up, in my opinion.
We all have our different ways; I suppose it is safer to warn those less technically inclined away from removing them all at once (as you should remove the spring tension and such to balance it out - or use a wedge, which I do not, etc), but I think anyone who is going to look after all day-to-day aspects of their instruments should ultimately be comfortable with re-stringing a floating bridge guitar right from the point where the bridge is on the table next to the 'naked' guitar. Like anything else, there are bad/good/better ways of doing this, as well...
=]

·
Vendor
26,325 Posts
I never change them 1 at a time. 95% of the guitars I prep the neck is coming off anyway. Even my personal guitars [when I used to keep a few around to play] I'd pull them all. The board woiuld usually be *really* cruddy [as well as the strings], I always hated changing strings, now I do it everyday [and still hate it!]. ;)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
steve said:
I may be the only person around here who takes strings all off, every time, whithout hassles. There's no other way to /completely/ clean an instrument up, in my opinion.
Yes there is......regularly clean the neck just slipping a cloth under the strings. That's on every guitar's manual, but, to be honest, I never did it before;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
If the bridge is pointing up or down when everything is in tune just adjust the spring tension in the back. If it's pointing up, tighten teh claw, if it's pointing down, loosen the claw. I dont see what the big deal is here. Standard guit-fiddle maintenance! :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
I have alot of IBZ and I've got it nailed on all of them.

I had the same problem in the beginning.
It turned out to bet the springs in the back.
When the springs are new they don't always bring the trem back to the same place.
Changing the strings one at a time is the way to go.
When I would buy a brand new IBZ from a guitar store I would run into this problem every time.
When I would get a used one it would work out fine.
If you take all of the strings off you defiantly need to use a wedge, that is why I don't do it.
You can set the bridge to different angels depending on how you wedge it, this can be a problem.
When you are putting the strings on one at a time and still have it in tune, the angel will stay the same
The saddles that the strings pass over should be leaning a little towards the head end of the guitar not the butt end.
If it is level or back, the strings stick to the saddles and cause it to be out of tune as well.
I just put the trem bar in and dive it all the way to the body a lot , unit the springs are starched out a bit. This could take you several different occasions of dive-bombing to get them broken in.
Then when all of these things are correct you still need to stretch out the strings after they are on the guitar.
I will change one string and get it up to pitch so the guitar is in tune and then I will pull up on the string from the mid point between trem to nut for a moment. Then it will sound lower. I tune it up again and repeat the process until it stops dropping in pitch. Then I will move on to the next string.
Getting the bridge angel right the first time may require tightening or loosening the screws that hold the spring claw under the backplate a bit.
I use 10s on all of my guitars. Ibanez trems are setup for 9s from the factory.
With the increased tension of 10s the screws would have been screwed all the way in to the body, not good. I took off each spring and cut off a coil or two making the spring shorter and the claw didn't need to be screwed in so far. This gave me the same result as tightening down the screws without stressing the body.

This is a lot to take in and if you get confused or run in to trouble, E-mail me.
I have 15+ Ibanez trem guitars and they don't give me any trouble now that I know how to deal with them.

Changing string gauges or brands will cause everything to go out of wack and need to be setup again, so find a type you like for each trem and stick with it.
Changing tunings will blow the whole thing as well.

Sebastian

1 - 20 of 21 Posts