Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got a used RG470MSP with the trem. I was having a heck of a time getting the trem to stay in tune, then I realized it doesn't have a string retainer

Has something changed in the past few years where this isn't necessary? I kind of figured all Floyd style trems needed it.

I have an extra retaining bar I can add, but hesitate in case I need to return it.

Any idea?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
If the headstock is tilted back, the strings might not go sharp when you lock down the nut. But if it does, try putting a few more wraps on the tuning pegs. This will increase the break angle coming out of the nut. Had to do this with an S570 AH, as the tilt back angle of the headstock was not enough And no retention bar.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Have you checked all the bolts and screws? Especially make sure the nut is mounted correctly. If you have to remove the screws from the nut, replace the mounting screws if it’s a top mounted nut.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Just looked it up and it has the worst trem Ibanez makes. You may want to use 4 springs in the back with new new springs.

I had 2 guitars with that same vibrato system. I wound up ordering Floyd Rose springs. I got the red ones for mine but I can’t remember if the red ones were stronger of weaker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts