Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just received this today from an online retailer. It's brand new. This is the 7421PBSBF-7 model...or Flat Sapphire Blue. The top is made from poplar burl. It's very attractive, however would you say the texture with the pitting looks normal??? It's hard to find other examples. I didn't want to raise the concern with the seller if this is how it's supposed to look.

This area had the most surface variations....

This area is not so bad....

·
Registered
547 Posts
Poplar burl you say, it does look rather nice, but a burl is diseased timber so it's not surprising that there are abnormalities.
I wouldn't expect it on a Prestige or a J Custom but for what you've paid I suspect you're not going to get better unless you can hand pick one from a wide selection.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Poplar burl you say, it does look rather nice, but a burl is diseased timber so it's not surprising that there are abnormalities.
I wouldn't expect it on a Prestige or a J Custom but for what you've paid I suspect you're not going to get better unless you can hand pick one from a wide selection.
Good point! Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
That's the nature of poplar burl, or for that matter any wood that has those kind of imperfections. Stains, & finishes with those woods are difficult at best. I have a walnut-burl bass & it has the same issues inconsistency with the finish.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the confirmation guys! I had my first playing experience last night....my ears tend to believe the pickups are a little muddy. I might be swapping out the bridge pup in favor for something with a lot more articulation. But, for what it is, the guitar plays pretty good.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, what would you guys recommend to maintain the nice matte "sheen" on the surface? I'm sure a regular guitar spray polish would not be appropriate...but I want to keep the smudges off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also, what would you guys recommend to maintain the nice matte "sheen" on the surface? I'm sure a regular guitar spray polish would not be appropriate...but I want to keep the smudges off.
Good question. My RG hasn't gathered any grime yet in the short time I own it. I guess I'll clean it with a damp cloth once a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.