Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vendor
26,452 Posts
They could have picked a better top ;)

It still looks killer though! Of course it's gotta be a J Custom. Good thing Kev not here or it would get slippery fast. ;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
OMG!!! :drool: ...... hold up.....Ouch!! (rubbing head after hitting it on table) ...yep i'm awake. I think someone was very close to making my dream come true, of course the 7th string is missing though :D

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Sure is purdy...

Purdier than this j-custom dragon.

Maybe somebody should buy them both and do a neck transplant. :lol:

~Kenny

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I've seen that guitar before. I was told that it was a one-off that was made for a Japanese dealer. I was offered the guitar last year, but the price was a bit silly-somewhere in the $3500 neighborhood I believe. Basically, it's the same guitar as the Texas Prestige models (same woods, pickups, hardware, etc.) but that the inlay work was specially designed and commisioned for a large Ibanez dealer in Japan.

·
Registered
633 Posts
pawel said:
The letters PRS come to mind...
Yep, they sure did.

The guitar looks fantastic! Both of them actually do! 8O

The PRS dragon is a bit more expencive though, according to guitar GOD Ed Roman the price is between 12.000 - 28.000 USD. :roll:

And if I remember correctly, the PRS dragon had a price tag about £15.000. The dragon inlay alone cost £8000 - £9000. That was back when they reviewed it in Guitarist Magazine.

With that in mind that Ibanez going at around 3500 sounds cheap...

But then again, I know nothing about the PRS Dragon guitars, and even less about the Ibanez dragon. :wink:

·
Registered
107 Posts
What a shame, a luthier here in RI told me that PRS's inlay work is made by a subcontractor and the price of each fretboard is $250, I've seen on the internet also some pictures of this place but can not remember where, hope nobodys here belive that those fretboards are hand made.
V R
Stefano Giusti

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
maialinodivino said:
What a shame, a luthier here in RI told me that PRS's inlay work is made by a subcontractor and the price of each fretboard is $250, I've seen on the internet also some pictures of this place but can not remember where, hope nobodys here belive that those fretboards are hand made.
V R
Stefano Giusti
Maybe the cost of the pieces is $250, but then you have the labor.

Maybe LGM will chime in here one of these days. He can tell you the painstaking amounts of work that go into these things.

~K

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
*sigh*

Unfortunately, I can believe the PRS's are done for about $250, when you have a million dollars worth of CNC machines blasting everything out at 200 pieces a minute, it's very do-able. However, the dragon inlays, I have a hard time believing $250 when the materials they are using include precious metals and stones. Abalone is $40 an ounce, it takes about one ounce to do a Jem vine or Jem Pyramids. So, I'm guessing it would take a good 5 or 6 ounces for what they show there. If I were to do the inlay, it would all be done by hand.
So what's the benefit to hand, it's one of a kind. All the PRS dragons are identical, and there are a couple hundred of each. What you get with CNC, is same over and over and over. What you get by hand, is art, each one is a bit different. It's like the BFP's, they are all photo print, and, they are $1200 guitars. Now, the DNA's, are 300 unique individual guitars, each swirl tells it's own story, same with hand cut inlays. The sad part is, you find a CNC shop doing inlays, and they can do them 50 times faster than I can, and will still charge as much, or more. YOu gotta pay for those $1,000,000 shops somehow LOL.

At any rate, I really like that dragon inlay, it somehow looks better on an Ibanez than a PRS to me :D

Oh yeah, the other benefit to done by hand, you can design exactly what YOU want. You can in a CNC shop too, but you end up paying for the CAD work as well as CAM work for the CNC programming, in the end, you get a computer generated and computer cut inlay, where-as by hand, you get a personal work.
Even if I wasn't doing inlay, personally, I'd take hand work over CNC anyday. Theoretically, Swirls could be copied and done as paper prints too, but then what would be the point in swirling, it'd be boring, I can't imagine the excitement Darren feels when he pulls a guitar from the dip to see the swirl he's created, *hint hint darren, 911 *ahem* LOL!!!!!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
cowcowcow said:
it looks like those Ed Roxxx inlay.......
first thing that came to my mind is that this Ibanez has been throught Ed's "custom" shop.

It does look very nice.
yumm.

ilia

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I saw a PRS Dragon 2002 in person today and holy **** that is sexy! £23,000 it was and only 2 are in the UK!
They wouldn't let me touch it though :(

James

1 - 20 of 20 Posts