Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get a 7 string RG, none of them have maple finger boards, why is this? Come to think of it I don't think anyof the normal RG's do eatheir. The model I was looking at is the RG1527, I really don't know anything about 7 strings, is this a good one or are there other companies that do better ones for about the same price.
Thanks,

·
Banned
668 Posts
The necks are maple, but maple fingerboards are rare on Ibanez guitars, which is a shame, because I prefer the sound of my maple-boarded RG 550 to my other guitars. I'm not a huge fan of its appearance, as I like a darker wood, but I'll live with it for better tone.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I really don't want to go with any other company for a 7 string, firstly because I can't find any (probably because i'm not looking hard enough) and secondly I love Ibanez too much. would it be possible to convert a rosewood fingerboard to maple? The thing I don't like about maple is that the dirt really shows up on them and you can easily spot those who take care of their guitar to those who don't, they say the dirt adds tone, ummm...... I don't think so :lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, that's what I was getting at when I said 'custom neck.' I couldn't remember which of the companies above did it...

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
The only thing is sending a neck to Canada and back will cost you at least £60 and the Customs will try and charge you for it when it comes back so I would advise going with a local luthier.

If you want some special inlaying done then Jeremy (LGM guitars) is your man but if you only want to change a rosewood board for maple, go somewhere local.
Keep in mind that it'll probably cost close to £200.

ilia

1 - 9 of 9 Posts