Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helping a friend set up his guitar. I have done many set ups and repair but mostly on Les Pauls and even some Strats. I never saw a bridge like this one. It's a floating bridge with a thumb screw on the back panel for spring tension. For the life of me, I cannot get the action low enough to be comfortable. It came with 9's and this friend, Liam, wants to go to 10's. It seemed decent with the 9's, but not with the 10's. The adjustment screws (allen heads) are bottomed out. I can raise the the strings by turning them counter clockwise, but cannot lower them by turning them clockwise. I mean they lower but the bolts bottom out. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanx.

Jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Watched the video, very helpful. The problem I have is that there is no locking screw inside the trem bolt. Must have been removed previously for some reason. Other than shimming the neck, he might have to go back to 9's. Any other advice?

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
It's useful at this point to identify the exact trem being used. Then compare the current studs to the factory original.

With the existing studs since you want to lower action you will need to shim the neck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The trem on this guitar is the exact trem in that video someone posted earlier. I cannot imagine why with the bolts bottomed out, the strings do not go any lower. I guess, I'll be shimming. No worries. Thanx for all of your help.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The term is an Edge Zero. I remember the first time i try to loosen the screws i thought the same thing as you because they were already loose. It's hard to believe that they are missing but...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Wait, the term bolts won't tighten more because the stud lock screws are tight. Those are the ones who need to be loosen up. Stud lock screws are tiny little screws inside the trem bolts. Try again with the thinest ibanez multitool hex wrench (clockwise to loosen).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There aren't any screws inside the trem bolts. I have tons of Allen (Hex) wrenches. I used to be a mechanic. I have metric and standard. The 2mm wrench it calls for goes right through the bolt.

·
Vendor
26,744 Posts
They started installing the set screws in 2011, they would be in the tool pack in the case, install them [from the bottom only] if you find them. Do it when you have the neck off to shim it. Take the bridge off with the strings on if you don't know that trick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.