Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm pretty to all this stuff and was wondering which configurations my completely stock RG870z H/S/H is using in position 2 and 4.

I suspect it's splitting the humbucker and putting it in series with the single but I'm unsure.

I don't have enough tonal experience to determine if the sound is parallel or series and whether the humbucker's been split.

Series?
Parallel?
Split? if so which coil?

Thanks, just wondering...

·
Registered
412 Posts
couldnt tell you whether its series or parallel, but 2 and 4 will use the inner coil of the bridge or neck pickup, and the middle pickup. got a funny feeling that whenever ive seen the diagram its said split in parallel, but it could equally have not said that at all! :p

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
couldnt tell you whether its series or parallel, but 2 and 4 will use the inner coil of the bridge or neck pickup, and the middle pickup. got a funny feeling that whenever ive seen the diagram its said split in parallel, but it could equally have not said that at all! :p
You got it right Ricky. they are in parallel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys!

While I'm here, would you guys be able to tell me if I could split both the bridge and neck with one push-pull pot simultaneously. I'm reserving the other pot for parallel/series switch for position 2 and 4. (I heard simultaneous switching is the only way to do this with one pot)

So...

Normal (not split)
Position 1 = Neck H
Position 2 = Neck H + Middle S parallel
Position 3 = Neck S
Position 4 = Bridge H + Middle S parallel
Position 5 = Bridge H

Split
Position 1 = Neck S
Position 2 = Neck S + Middle S parallel
Position 3 = Neck S
Position 4 = Bridge S + Middle S parallel
Position 5 = Bridge S

And then the plan is to make the other pot swap everything that says parallel to series.

Is any of this possible?
And are these tones useable?
If not, I think I'll make another thread to get some ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
yeah, you just need to have the switch ground the middle wire of the neck and bridge humbuckers. at least with my HH 5-way ibanez it worked like that. about the series to parallel switch that is advanced ****.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good, so the split is possible and easy. :)

Since I'm only going to pay someone else to do this for me, does it really matter that the series/parallel is a bit complicated?
Or is it more complicated than its worth?

I'm after a strat, 2 single coils in series sound in positions 2 and 4 when the pots are on split and series.

Series
Split = two singles in series. (STRAT)
Not split = humbucker and a single in series.

Parallel
Split = two singles i parallel (Current position 2 and 4)
Not split = humbucker and a single in parallel.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
This is well beyond my wiring knowledge now. I can say that my friend is using a wiring system similar to what your looking for. It's on his RGT42 (H-H). He used two separate DPDT (on-on) mini switches to do it. One for splitting, one for phase.

FWIW, after everything he did trying to make the guitar more versatile I think it sounds thin and "empty"......there's so much going on in the signal path that the sound of the guitar and pickups is lost. He's using a Breed bridge and a Fred neck.....pups that normally have a lot of life to them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot for your opinion!

I think I'll scrap the series/parallel idea and just use the one pot for split switching.
That or dedicate each push/pull to a humbucker = more versatility I guess.

That way switching between [humbucker bridge] and [single neck/single middle in parallel] will be a simple flick of the blade.

Any other things that I can do with a push/pull?
I'm going out of my way for this mod and thought if I could do something, I might a s well do it now, ya know.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
......Any other things that I can do with a push/pull?.......
I'm pretty sure you can do a blower switch mod with one. That said, I backed out of that idea very recently myself - but it would be cool to know if anybody else tried it.

Also, what Ryc said is very valid about the possible tone suckage.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Honestly, my favorite setup in an H-S-H is a three-way switch and a DPDT tap (or a push-pull on my H-H RGT). It's very simple but it gives a really nice variety of tones. I also use this setup on my H-H USA custom (middle position uses both inner coils).

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
I love the switching on my PRO540R!
A toggle for each pickup and a push/pull for the humbucker.
In fact, I was really playing thar one a bunch more than the others before I couldn't play for awhile.

For the OP--here's the switching options for your 870z

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Am I right in saying that a blower switch bypasses the volume and tone pots for the bridge pickup?

Does it then switch to the bridge even if the selector is on the neck or middle?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds very useful without too much wiring.

Ideal. Thanks everyone. I think this issue is closed. :wink:

[/thread]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a note on the parallel vs series queries.

The usual Strat 5 position switch offers neck and middle in parallel for position 2 and middle and bridge in parallel for position 4.

The series combinations can only be had with more complex wiring options - they sound very good btw, much more warm and humbucker-like in character.

If anyone is interested, there is a three switch wiring setup which was published by Guitar Player mag a good while back that allows all series and parallel combinations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts