Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed some RG models are listed on the Ibanez site with string gauge specs 9, 11 … and others 10, 13 … I can’t see any reason for the difference. Any ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless it's a signature model specified by the artist, all trem are 9's, all fixed are 10's. AZ's are 10's, but they're not RG's
Interesting, thanks. Is the reason that the tremolo bar might break a 10 if you pull it really far? I. e. bending with fingers only (fixed bridge) doesn’t stretch as far? And I wonder if putting 9 on a fixed bridge model has any downside …

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Interesting, thanks. Is the reason that the tremolo bar might break a 10 if you pull it really far? I. e. bending with fingers only (fixed bridge) doesn’t stretch as far? And I wonder if putting 9 on a fixed bridge model has any downside …
I have 2 AZES31’s and I set up the Ivory one with 9-42 EB Cobalts and the Vermillion one with 10-46 Cobalts. I can affect a minor third bend on my high E with both of them, the shorter scale automatically means less tension. I haven’t gone for a major third bend lately, but every time I try that by hand I bust a string.

I can do pull ups up to a fourth on my Floyd equipped guitars using The bar without problems, but can’t do it a whole bunch.

There’s really no downside to running 9’s with a fixed bridge. The radius of the frets on these two guitars is flat enough so that you don’t choke out trying to bend a major 2nd or whole step bend. I have a couple of 70’s strats that I had to set the action a little higher than usual, so as not to fret out bending a whole step. I can’t bend more than a whole step before it frets out. 7.25 radius on them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How did your other problem with the Low E and A going out of tune when you bent the high strings turn out?
It was indeed just neck bend from the tension of the stretched strings and I just accept it now. I’d like to compare it with my old Tele which I never noticed this with, but it’s in storage right now.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It was indeed just neck bend from the tension of the stretched strings and I just accept it now. I’d like to compare it with my old Tele which I never noticed this with, but it’s in storage right now.
Yeah, I have an RG550 that is the thinnest neck out of all my guitars. I usually set up my strats and other guitars with Floyd’s or an edge to at least be able to pull up a fourth. However, I don’t think that I will be doing that with the RG550.

I had a Fender that developed 4 cracks in the neck from doing that over the course of 10 years. I have other guitars with much more substantial necks on them.

I can pull up a fifth on my Brian May, but it an inch and a quarter thick at the zero fret. I never have to adjust that neck.

I had a Jackson Hardtail soloist that had a thinner neck than the RG550, but just trying to play an open chord or a bar chord at the first fret would get the neck all wiggly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I have an RG550 that is the thinnest neck out of all my guitars. I usually set up my strats and other guitars with Floyd’s or an edge to at least be able to pull up a fourth. However, I don’t think that I will be doing that with the RG550.

I had a Fender that developed 4 cracks in the neck from doing that over the course of 10 years. I have other guitars with much more substantial necks on them.

I can pull up a fifth on my Brian May, but it an inch and a quarter thick at the zero fret. I never have to adjust that neck.

I had a Jackson Hardtail soloist that had a thinner neck than the RG550, but just trying to play an open chord or a bar chord at the first fret would get the neck all wiggly.
Cool. I see the 550 has V7 and V8 pups - are those made by Ibanez? Why not the usual DMs or Fishman, maybe because they want to keep it vintage?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Cool. I see the 550 has V7 and V8 pups - are those made by Ibanez? Why not the usual DMs or Fishman, maybe because they want to keep it vintage?
I think they wanted to keep it all proprietary due to cost, but the stock pups are great. I dig em. I don’t like the look of the Fishmans or some of the DiMarzios, but I’ve never heard those pickups. The only DiMarzios I am familiar with are the ones in the Premium Jem, and Super Distortions. And I’ve never tried the Fishmans. I will check them out if my local GC ever gets any stock in. They are down to like 50 guitars and basses.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Not really any damage you could do. But, depending on the scale length, you might not like how the strings feel. If it’s a 25 1/2 inch (648mm) scale It should feel okay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.