Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like personalizing my guitar, what mods or ideas do you guys have for me? This is probably the most inventive guitar community I've seen, I can't wait to see what you've got. I'm already looking into changing the pickups, so stuff besides that.

The guitar in question:

·
Registered
859 Posts
I modify my guitars out of necessity.

Can you think of anything about your guitar that you might not like, and would maybe want to change?

I see you still have your stock pickups, so I'd change those first.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too be honest, I want to add features. I've ordered a bridge pickup, and talking to my guitar man on what else is going into it.

I was thinking perhaps tone modifiers, I was considering sustainer circuit (don't know if its possible since I don't have a pickguard) or perhaps a piezo, but I can't find any edge pro piezo. I wouldn't mind a killswitch or tone modifier.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Well, I suppose the obvious maximum bang for your bucks is of course a set of nice new pickups - make 'em coloured to spice up all that black - how about a Tone Zone bridge and PAF Pro neck combo in PINK, with a matching cover for the middle pickup?

Nice, almost subtle.......

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, I think gold hardware would look awesome. I am putting a Tone Zone in the bridge and possibly a Duncan Jazz or PAF Pro in the neck. And I was thinking JEM single coil for mid.

These are awesome ideas lol. What other electronic things could I add to her?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yeah forget the black ice you might as well get an X2N. Anyway my ideas are:
- Get a chrome pickguard and New black pickups.
-Change all hardware to chrome including pickups
-Get bright colour pickups and neon control knobs
-Get a new fretboard on there (Vine, sharkies, anything other than dots) maybe even change the board to maple.
-Get a swirled pickguard
-Put stickers all over the body (lol)

Anyway i think some chrome on there would be pretty cool

Im not a master photoshopist and i did this in 3 mins but this should give you an idea. Its extremely rough i know.

Anyway hope that helps

·
Registered
528 Posts
Actually, I think gold hardware would look awesome. I am putting a Tone Zone in the bridge and possibly a Duncan Jazz or PAF Pro in the neck. And I was thinking JEM single coil for mid.

These are awesome ideas lol. What other electronic things could I add to her?
If you get the Jazz form the neck I advice you to get the SH-2B cos the SH-2N INHO is too low output to balance with the TZ.

·
Registered
109 Posts
nah its too samesey
loads of RGs look like that
im gunna stick with my original idea of gold hardware and the some nice LEDs.
new pups obv
That black ice thing?
does it just like control the output of the pickups or something?
but it does sound like a bit of a waste and 30 bucks

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has pointed out the guitar in the pic isn't a 1520. Looks like a 1570.

I realise I'm probably in the minority here, but as regards modding I'd just change the pups and leave everything else as is. I've always loved the minimalistic appearance of these guitars.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
0.o Well. In that case, it is quite possible I have a 1570.

I do agree with Awakened Sleeper, I might go all chrome hardware sans the chrome pickguard, I like the look of no pickguard. (And coming from a Fender player, no pickguard is a welcome change) I was thinking of tone, electronic mods.

Stuff that are cool and maybe unusual, like a Sustainer pickup, tone mod, or piezo. Midi is unfortunately out of my price range, and sounds sorta too synthetic (LOL PIEZO)

Concerning the neck, can I actually remove the fretboard, or am I asking for too much work and its easier to throw on a whole new neck altogether? I do love the feel of the neck I got, and my one complaint is the dots.

·
Banned
98 Posts
0.o Well. In that case, it is quite possible I have a 1570.

I do agree with Awakened Sleeper, I might go all chrome hardware sans the chrome pickguard, I like the look of no pickguard. (And coming from a Fender player, no pickguard is a welcome change) I was thinking of tone, electronic mods.

Stuff that are cool and maybe unusual, like a Sustainer pickup, tone mod, or piezo. Midi is unfortunately out of my price range, and sounds sorta too synthetic (LOL PIEZO)

Concerning the neck, can I actually remove the fretboard, or am I asking for too much work and its easier to throw on a whole new neck altogether? I do love the feel of the neck I got, and my one complaint is the dots.
this is what i did:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66011
i would (depending on the pups) probably do this:
http://emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Accessories&categoryid=32&catalogid=69
or one of the other things emg has, for accessories.
but i would strongly suggest looking at some active emg pickups speciffically
"Active 80's" (seriously!).
especially if you add an after burner
and tell me if you do. I will setup a tut on how to add a third knob inbetween the two existing ones.
uhh... your guitar guy? im guessing ur guitar tech haw?
concerning your fret board, i dont think it could be easily done, i would just buy a existing ibanez neck that matches urs (wizard cept different style u kno?)
and you might consider scalloping it if you do get a new neck, because that way you can get experience with it, and decide if you want to do it on the new neck.
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/scal1.htm
ive posted that link many times. dunno if its actually helped anyone but i like to think so :lol:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts