Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
RG1570 PUP/Scratchplate mod - WITH PICS

OK... so after a year of playing my RG1570 with the default pickups etc. I decided it was time for a change (definitely don't like the V7,S1,V8 PUP combo)

New pickups are on the way (Irongear Dirty Torque and Blues Engine both 4-wire), 5 way superswitch - this deals with the electrical/sound side of things.

Also got some edge glow acrylic coming so that I can create a custom scratchplate and rear cavity covers. The scratchplate itself will be a variation on the usual RG shape and I've already been trying out a few different card template ideas. I might also have a play with some artwork and engraving while I'm at it... no point doing things half-a**ed

The acrylic will be bevel edged so that it catches the light to the best advantage... I've got it in Neptune Blue which has only a slight tint to the material itself but a good glow from the edge especially in UV blacklight.

How long it takes me to get this all done depends on how much spare time I manage to get (but I WILL grab every last scrap available despite other demands on my time such as work, family, wife, house improvements etc.)

Anybody else gone down the same sort of route with an RG?

Either way, once it's done I'll get some pics posted on here and feedback (good or bad) is welcomed..!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got home from work but with a detour to the Delivery Depot to pickup my pickups (LOL - no pun intended), edge glow acrylic already at home waiting for me....

Retrieved soldering iron, dremmel, precision screwdrivers, files, saw blades etc. from the depths of the workshop/garage...

Right... here comes the work, the fiddling about (errr... wait a minute - I don't play the fiddle)

See you all on the flip side when it's done... :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Nice gear:)

We need more pictures of the guitar, this is a guitar forum!!! I'm interested to see how the pickguard looks closeup to see that special light reflecting look

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quick update... pickups and superswitch now wired in so it's on to the lovely(?) job of cutting the acrylic.

Good thing that it's raining, otherwise my wife would be persuading me to do jobs in the garden. Must be one of the only times last night I can think of where I've thought 'I hope it rains tomorrow' and it actually happened.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Scratchplate cut and shaped... now for the laborious job of polishing the edges...

EDIT: Still polishing and finishing the edges - only another hour or two to go :roll:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Almost done... final polishing for the truss rod cover.

Pics will be on here in approx the next 24 hours and then your feedback is welcome (unless it's negative feeback and then I'll pretend it's still welcome but curse under my breath or something!)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK... here we go with a selection of images

1st up is a full shot of the guitar in normal daylight:

Then a shot using daylight and a UV tube showing a bit more detail of the scratchplate and associated artwork:

The whole of the guitar in a darkened room with just a UV tube running:

Followed by the scratchplate closeup in UV light:

The truss rod cover in UV light:

I'll have to say that this turned out to be more of a project than I originally anticipated... main time intensive areas were to do with final shaping and polishing of the edges. Although you can't see from the images, they are all radiused and polished to a glassy finish.

The artwork is supposed to be a snow leopard (or at least it was originally) but I altered the saturation and hue, applied an unsharp mask to make the edges 'pop' out and then colorized some areas manually.

What the images don't convey is the pseudo 3D effect on the scratchplate, in certain angles/light the image has a real feeling of depth... I'd love to say this was intentional but I can't - all I was after was a strongly defined image behind the acrylic.

As regards the pickup change - whilst the IronGear pickups are at the cheaper end of the market, I do love the way it has brought the sound forward and made it easier to get rich harmonic tones. Pickup switch is wired to give the following options:

1: Bridge humbucker series
2: Bridge humbucker parallel
3: Bridge and Neck humbucker series
4: Neck humbucker parallel
5: Neck humbucker series

And yes, for those who already noticed, I completely removed the middle single coil.

So... any comments?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@LonePhantom - glad you like it. :smile:

I know it may not be to everybody's taste but it's definitely 'my thing' and I am also getting some good feedback from other people who have seen it in the flesh (so to speak).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am now getting asked by other players to do something similar for them... they might run a mile when I tell them how much for some one-off work in a similar vein. Materials are cheap but it's the labour that costs!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts