Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the link listed below, the Double-Edge re-wire for DiMarzios would set up the RG2020XTB under Ibanez's "J-Custom Special" pattern for two humbuckers. Does anyone have any info on what that would be? Also, I wanted to make sure that the wiring is right. All I did was put the wiring as shown in the tutorial. In other words, If the wire wasn't shown in diagram as being added, I left it as is. My question was, could I have left a wire in place that needed removing? When I put the 5-way in pos-2 or pos-4 (which I assume are coil taps). When I engage any of those two positions, it's a bit noisier than my JS1000 was, which was near silent. I was just curious if I could have left a wire where it shouldn't be. In all other positions, the Br-ToneZone/Neck-PAFPro sound awesome.

http://www.universaljems.com/tut/rewire.htm

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
RG2020XTB DiMarzio Mod

i'm not familiar with the "goal" of that wiring project... ie... what pickups are on in each position.

That said, if i were re-wiring *any* guitar, i would get rid of that ibanez 5-way switch and replace it with a simpler allparts/dimarzio style used previously by ibanez. All those extra poles can only serve to overcomplicate a simple wiring job, weaken contact points and introduce noise.

Grab any wiring diagram you want at ibanz or online for 2-2 pickups... glen

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
RG2020XTB DiMarzio Mod

Contrary to Glen's belief that the extra poles "complicate" things, they actually offer you 3x the regular wiring options of the Mega-Switch....but, it's up to you what to put into your own guitar. Me? I'm an Options-kinda guy. :)
No- I won't do a diagram for the Mega-Switches. Sorry.

As for what position does what with regard to my diagram, and to help Glen with his "goal":

The J-Custom Special wiring is also referred to as the Classic 5.
If image above is dead, email me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
RG2020XTB DiMarzio Mod

I totally agree with Glen, and I did this to my 2020 a few months back. There is only so much you can do with 2 humbuckers......better yet, there is only so much you NEED to do with 2 humbuckers, and the regular basic 5 way covers it fine, and is a hell of a lot easier to do. 3X more options?? Again I say, there is only so much you can do with 2 humbuckers. Lets see......5 positions X 3, you trying to say there are 15 other ways to diagram it?? Like thats necessary :wink:

(Edited by Todd Crawford at 8:57 pm on Mar. 4, 2002)

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
RG2020XTB DiMarzio Mod

Todd Crawford on 8:57 pm on Mar. 4, 2002
Lets see......5 positions X 3, you trying to say there are 15 other ways to diagram it??
Not 15 other ways to diagram it, but a bunch more ways to wire the pickups- things like:
Want the neck HB in parallel?
Want the two outer coils on each HB split? In parallel?
Want the outer coils and and one inner coil wired in parallel?

Like I said, I'm an options-type guy.

Also, there's only *so many* wiring options with H-S-H, H-S-S or S-S-S setups.
As usual, it's all personal preference.

Sorry guys- but I'm not drawing up a diagram for the Mega-Switch.
I'm sure you can find one on Ibanez.com.

Just remember: the MAGNETIC pickups are COMPLETELY SEPARATE from the piezo pickups. Wire up your Double Edge guitar just as you would any of your other guitars.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RG2020XTB DiMarzio Mod

I was kind of interested in setting it up like the JS1000s using the push-pull pots and capacitors simply because I like the functionality. Also, what does parallel wiring do tonally for a humbucker compared to tapping? Steve C

(Edited by scarello at 10:40 am on Mar. 5, 2002)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts