Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a 200 dollar pod!!! These things sound amazing, with a little tweaking they are unbeatable for demo quality stuff. My buddie has a full blown studio and runs it thru all kinds of avalon pre amps and makes it sound even better.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Excellent! I thought you might say it was a $4,000 Diezel or something and break my wallet. ;)

I bought a PODXTLive a couple weeks ago but haven't explored it too much yet. I bought the metal and classic option packs for it and got a very cool patch on the Line6 tone site and it even sounds good bypassing the preamp section on my POS Fender Princeton Chorus and just using it as a power amp. I'm pondering getting a Avatar 212 cab and a tube power amp to see what she can do.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when the pod pro first came out, i ran it straight thru an alesis power amp with a mesa 4x12 cab and wasnt crazy about it. To be fair, I spent no time trying to make it sound good. I was also prior using a dual recto. With the flood of once expensive 200 dollar rack stuff on the market, Im sure you can make it work. This is not a plug, but I saw a Journey tribute band called Worlds Apart, and the guy uses a line 6 head and it sounded pretty good. They gotta be the same sounds, just packaged properly.

·
Registered
858 Posts
According to what I read you should use Celestion V30 loaded cabs for the Line6 stuff to sounds its best because that's what they model off of so their speaker sims sound right. In fact on the Line6 site for the HD147 head they recommend either cabs with V30 or T75s.

Besides, I will need a cab for whatever head I get if I don't like the power amp thing with the pod anyway. And I could always resell the power amp so it's worth a shot, even if it's only to agree with you. ;) But I've seen other boards where people have loved it. Otherwise it's possibly a JSX head or I'm going to check out a Diezel Herbert tomorrow.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are you in a band? what kind of music? For me, I was in a heavier prog rock band, and my problem with not only the pod, but all the digital stuff is that they didnt move air the same. stand infront of a dual recto and chug something out on the e string and then use the pod sim of the same amp and maybe the sound is close, but not the same feeling. IMO, the pod is a great piece for recording, and an excellent backup in case things go bad on stage, or as a second amp for lead or clean sounds with an ABY switch.

·
Registered
858 Posts
No, not in a band. I play mostly 80s hard rock. I'm sure it's quite a bit different live vs. bedroom. I just tried the Diezel Herbert and it was amazing but my Pod was way cheaper than $4100 for the head only. If I were playing in a band I'd get one though. But I may get a wild hair and buy it anyway.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suggest NOT spending so much dough on an amp, ever. For bedroom-garage band small gigs type stuff, why not a line 6 2X12. well under a grand and will do all you need it to. National acts dont spend that on a rig.

·
Registered
858 Posts
joeydego said:
I suggest NOT spending so much dough on an amp, ever. For bedroom-garage band small gigs type stuff, why not a line 6 2X12. well under a grand and will do all you need it to. National acts dont spend that on a rig.
Preach on brotha! Don't worry, I wouldn't spend the $4100 for an amp like that to noodle around in the bedroom when I could buy 3 more Prestige Ibanezes plus a good amp like you say. Actually a guy I know just bought the Diezel Herbert for bedroom playing (yeah, he's crazy) and he offered to sell me a Vetta II head he's got for cheap which I may go for. That and the Avatar 2x12 should be under $1K and I'm a rock star in my own home. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts