Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my 2570's volume pot got stuck, it wont turn, problem is stores here dont sell any 500k pots, even allparts dealer here doesnt have stock.

now im planning to put the tone pot as my volume pot, they are both 500k anyways, is it going to be ok? it seems they are the same.

another is what if i dont put a tone pot? i would like it to be like paul gilbert's PGM where there is no tone. how am i going to do that?

thanks in advance guys! this site is very helpful.

·
Registered
151 Posts
There are only two types of pots - Audio taper pots and Linear taper pots (both of which come in various ratings). Linear pots may be found as both the volume and the tone pot and usually are with cheaper stuff. Audio pots are used to correct volume tapers because our ears don't perceive volume increases in a linear pattern and so are usually only used for volume pots but may sometimes be used for tone pots even though that's not a good idea.

My point you can use the the tone put for the volume pot as it's all the same as long as the rating is what you need but be aware that if you had an Audio taper pot for the volume and a Linear taper pot for the tone you will get a weird volume change when you switch them.

I'd just get a new pot off the bay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts