Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a late 90s RG270DX that has served me well for many years despite being a lower end guitar. It has a no name single locking trem though which I'd like to swap out. Does anyone know which trems fit it with minimal modification to the face of the guitar?

Also I've been told that this trem may accept standard OFR saddles on the original plate. The knife edges are still in near perfect condition so if that is a possibility I'm willing to look at that as well.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the plan really, I'm just looking for minimal routing on the surface. I just installed a Gotoh for a friend a few months ago. I'll have to get his guitar back over here and take some measurements.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
The single locking tremolo on these usually accepts original floyd rose tremolos and variants and ive put these on before. You may wish to go with a gotoh variant as they are similar in build quality to the higher end edge tremolo systems

·
Registered
12 Posts
I replaced the original trem with a Lo Trs2 trem, but I had to cut out 2mm for each side of the tremolo cavity. If you use a cutter, maybe you don't need to repaint the top of the guitar but you have to be very carefully!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I had the same trem, i replaced the saddles with string saver ones, and set it to dive only. I could not get great floating action with the lower end unit, but in dive only it is great. This was a 60ish dollar option, but I believe cheaper saddles can be had.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'm going to end up with a Gotoh 1996 in it. Right now I'm putting it on the back burner. I have an old Silvertone 1484 waiting for a rebuilt. I've never worked on an amp before so this will be a new one for me. I know enough to drain the caps so I don't electrocute myself but that's about it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I changed my mind. I decided not to drop $180 on a Gotoh 1996 for a guitar of this quality. Instead I went ahead and put about $32 into turning the existing single locking tremolo into a double locking tremolo. It turned out pretty well. It was a nice project to do in lieu of another tremolo swap.

Original

New Saddles

Rebuilt Tremolo

Back in action

Full details of the work done are at my blog if anyone needs the info.
http://gideond.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/ibanez-rg270dx-tremolo-upgrade-for-cheap/

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who used the tremolo a lot, which I personally don't. I don't feel that the knife edges would be hard enough to hold up to frequent use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.