Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i'm looking into buying one of either of these guitars, or if they both fall above my price range (£750) second hand for both of them obviously, lol.

theres a 2820VV in the classifieds for about £750 at the moment, and the 3120 is something ive got going at the moment. will see about that one.

just for peoples opinions, they are both in awesome condition and come with cases, which would be the better guitar if they were both the same price?

Cheers

Sidewinder.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Heyup :)

I know we've been over this on msn but thought i'd post a bit.

If you're prepared to save up the extra to replace the pickups of the 2820 for something better than the Dimazrio/Ibz pups then get the 2820. The only differences between the 2 are the pickups and the vine, it's easier to replace the pickups and have the vine rather than get the 3120 which has superior pickups and not have the vine :)

I think the DiMazrio/Ibz pickups are good anyway, there's no reason why you wouldn't be perfectly happy with those until you save up the extra to get something a little bit better :)

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Andelusion said:
Heyup :)

I know we've been over this on msn but thought i'd post a bit.

If you're prepared to save up the extra to replace the pickups of the 2820 for something better than the Dimazrio/Ibz pups then get the 2820. The only differences between the 2 are the pickups and the vine, it's easier to replace the pickups and have the vine rather than get the 3120 which has superior pickups and not have the vine :)

I think the DiMazrio/Ibz pickups are good anyway, there's no reason why you wouldn't be perfectly happy with those until you save up the extra to get something a little bit better :)
I havent gotten a chance to use these just yet but I really loved the Ibanez/duncan pickups so I cant see why the new dimarzios would be any different. I liked the old dimarzio ibanez pickups quite a bit personally.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all, just to let you know, ive bought myself the 3120 for £600

it was on evilbay, i havent paid yet, but i will be soon unless you guys can think of anything thats wrong with this auction

Item number: 7335869995

because i know you cant post links, as its all ****'d out.

the serial number on the headstock is F0212452 from what the guy has told me :)

i was the only bidder, which is making me a little wary about it, lol.

Cheers
Sidewinder

·
Registered
561 Posts
Great news! looks awesome from those pics...It looks very legit to me, starting at a high price usually results in very few bids, if any. I would have gone for it myself if I had the money. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hehe, true.
i can always rejoice over the story of the Gibson Vs. Ibanez argument that resulted in that fine ding......

..... if only it was my story :(

can i ask a question on price for this guitar....

the RRP of an RG 2550e is £679
i bought this one for £600

how much of a bargain did i get :p

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Depends on how deep the dent is. If it's only a BIG scratch, you can fill it with some super glue or lacquer (super glue is faster). If it's a dent that almost chipped off, just chip it off carefully (I usually yank it out with an exacto blade) and drop fill it with some lacquer. If it's actually compressed the wood you can steam it out, but from the looks of it you may just need to rip the dent and drop fill it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yeah, you did for sure get a great deal...RG2550 costs £579 at Gak.

The cheapest I found the 05' 3120 is £809, but it has DiMarzio/IBZ pickups. Also they're not available in Twilight Blue which is in my opinion the coolest colour Ibanez has ever offered. Oh and the 05' has standard dot inlays, your one has the side dots, which looks very cool.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i know it costs £579 at gak :p i was giving the RRP :p

http://www.soundsmusical.com/produc...ries RG2550E Electric Guitar &cl=Galaxy Black

its even cheaper there :eek: as long as you can wait for delivery!

TW is a really nice finish, i'm just hoping it turns out to be a little more blue than it is in the evilbay images.

i wasnt sure how much the older guitars were worth, it certainly has a fair few extras for the price :)

i'm guessing this guitar isnt going to appreciate in value though?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I wouldn't think it would go up in value, but keep it in good condition then I shouldn't think it would go down too much. You could probably get your money back if you really wanted to sell it, but it's a keeper!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
You could buy the 2820ctvv for £599(possibly even £579) from GAK when they were available too.

I think that's where most of the UK ones were sold from.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts