Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The high e string on my RG3120 is much closer to edge of the frets than the low e string causing the string slip off the fretboard with even the smallest amount of vibrato or slight mis-fret.

This has driven me to the point where I've considered selling the guitar because it is so frustrating, but before I do, does ANYONE have a suggestion on how this can be fixed? The trem and nut are set up correctly as is the true rod. The neck also appears very straight.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as this is starting to become a deal breaker with this guitar even though I love every other aspect of playing it. Thank you!

·
Registered
250 Posts
The high e string on my RG3120 is much closer to edge of the frets than the low e string causing the string slip off the fretboard with even the smallest amount of vibrato or slight mis-fret.
yup... it's a very thin neck.. happens to me too. I thought it was due to my specific guitar but then it seems to be a more generic thing.

I kinda adjusted to it though.. but I don't apply lots of vibrato on the high E

·
Banned
983 Posts
My uv70p had the same problem. The cause was that due to the design of the AANJ there is less resistance on the treble side than the bass side, so the neck has the tendency to "fall" down a bit. The solution as just4kinks said is to loosen the strings and then unscrew the neck bolts, re-align and then screw tight (but not way too tight). I measured my clearance between neck heel pocket on the treble side and the neck heel and it is constantly about 0.1mm, which is a sign of a permanent fix, no matter the wild dives, pull ups, etc...

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I got one guitar exactly like this, neck pocket is really tight, no room for adjustment.
found out that the source of the problem was the tremolo pivot is 1mm away to the right from where it should be.
Well, I'd guess I've got a lemon.

·
Banned
983 Posts
I got one guitar exactly like this, neck pocket is really tight, no room for adjustment.
found out that the source of the problem was the tremolo pivot is 1mm away to the right from where it should be.
Well, I'd guess I've got a lemon.
Just by very lightly sanding the neck pocket to create room for the bass side of the heel, might prove enough to fix the problem without plugging re-drilling for the trem inserts. You might want to collect the dust from the sanding and glue it to the treble side of the neck, or keep it safely in its case if you feel paranoid enough :)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Just by very lightly sanding the neck pocket to create room for the bass side of the heel, might prove enough to fix the problem without plugging re-drilling for the trem inserts. You might want to collect the dust from the sanding and glue it to the treble side of the neck, or keep it safely in its case if you feel paranoid enough :)
there is a less headache and less pain way to do this man....

sell the guitar... LOL

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
it happened that my guitar with that kind of problem is my less significant guitar.
I don't plan to keep it forever, so this minor defect just adding another reason for its earlier departure..

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I did try realigning the neck in the pocket but there is no play in the pocket to move the neck. Has anyone successfully tried sanding the pocket on the treble side to "cheat" the neck towards the treble side?

·
Vendor
26,379 Posts
I wouldn't recommend an amateur sanding the pocket, especially mahogany for the first time. Not that you can't do it.

I'd pull the trem out [with the strings on], take the strings off, and take it to Home Depot or Lowes and find a good pair of "cutting pliers". Grip the locator [curved] knife edge flush along the inside edge next to the saddle, and bite down hard before you pry the knife outward. Make sure the pliers are not slipping before prying, you only get one good shot at it virgin, and if you slide across the knife and it doesn't move, it will gouge and be very difficult to get good enough grip on it again. There is a detent in the knife that keeps it tight and it requires force to break the tension. You only need 1/2mm, but it's easy to tap it in if it's out too far when you install again.

That's the easiest way to fix that guitar.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
I wouldn't recommend an amateur sanding the pocket, especially mahogany for the first time. Not that you can't do it.

I'd pull the trem out [with the strings on], take the strings off, and take it to Home Depot or Lowes and find a good pair of "cutting pliers". Grip the locator [curved] knife edge flush along the inside edge next to the saddle, and bite down hard before you pry the knife outward. Make sure the pliers are not slipping before prying, you only get one good shot at it virgin, and if you slide across the knife and it doesn't move, it will gouge and be very difficult to get good enough grip on it again. There is a detent in the knife that keeps it tight and it requires force to break the tension. You only need 1/2mm, but it's easy to tap it in if it's out too far when you install again.

That's the easiest way to fix that guitar.
Awesome idea man, I've never even thought of trying to move an insert for alignment issues.......brilliant!

Do you use ***** or or something like a fence nip?

OR

·
Vendor
26,379 Posts
The only reason to go in would be in the trem was rubbing on the edge of the rout, like the UV77RE's. If you have to go inboard you have to pull the knife out and grind the inside edge as far as you need to move the trem.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
The only reason to go in would be in the trem was rubbing on the edge of the rout, like the UV77RE's. If you have to go inboard you have to pull the knife out and grind the inside edge as far as you need to move the trem.
got it...... I don't think I've ever had to adjust alignment away from the "bass side" anyway. For whatever reason, it always seems to need it going the other way. I've pulled plenty of knives out, but only to put a decent one in place of a beater. I've never bothered trying to grind one.

·
Vendor
26,379 Posts
If you're totally against shimming the side of the pocket to correct alignment you can pull and grind the knife. As you know, on a modern trem, the pulling is not an easy task. The easy fix is just to shim the side of the pocket to push the neck into place.. The UVRE's you had no choice, almost all of them were rubbing on the bass side of the pocket.

·
Banned
983 Posts
How about water based wood putty instead of shim for the pocket side? Ideally It would be in the same colour as basswood just for aesthetics. Definitely woodwork sounds easier than risking messing with the knife.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts