Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Wonder if anyone can help. I have a 2004 rg3120tw with the edge pro trem system, and the up pull on the trem is bugging me.
To try and explain - when the trem block hits the base of the routed trem cavity (softly as it's foam covered), if I'm not careful it's easy to keep pulling back, at which point the trem levers itself a little way up the trem posts with a nasty grind (as the up pull at this point is now pivoting on the back of the trem block).

I know the obvious answer here - don't do it! - but the trouble is that there's no solid 'limit' hit - so from a tactile viewpoint it's too damn easy to do this.

Anyone else have this problem?
I've greased up the posts with a little Moly grease to prevent metal grindage and save my knife edges (& posts), but it bugs me that the meticulously engineered system is so flimsy once you hit the back stop point??
Maybe I'm just too used to my steinberger r-trem which hits a definite limit then don't move any further??

Cheers!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I don't have that problem. I jsut measured my RG trem cavities and there appears to be 3/8" or 1 centimeter of travel. That's enough to increase pitch a whole step. So if you're bottoming out on the cavity, you'reprobably way too agressive on the trem.

The way around that for you is to route that part of the cavity deeper.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Deepen the cavity, I did the same mod to a friends soloist who had me stick an edge trem on it, it gives you the range you need, without lifting the knvies off their pivots, any competant tech can do this for very little outlay

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

Perhaps I am just too aggressive with the bar. The moly grease has done the trick to prevent metal-to-metal grind (I've read elsewhere that chapstick is good, but I think the grease is easier to spread around).

I may look into increasing the back routing as you suggest, as the neck is already shimmed and the angle and action is otherwise fine.

Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.