Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking around for a new guitar at the moment, trying to flog my old super strat because I seem to be wanting to shred more than anything else nowadays and want something more suited to it. I don't have a lot of money to spend on it. Maybe like £500 tops.

I'm looking around at midrange RGs, which all seem to have similar specs; wizard II neck, infinity pickups, edge III bridge. Then I stumble across this RG320 with exactly those specs for a nearly entry level price. Am I missing something here? Is there any reason why I should be shelling out an additional £100+ for a different RG? This thing is cheaper than some GRGs even.

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
i have a rg350,nice guitar for the price and the infinity pickups arent that bad,whereas that crappy piece of junk edge111 trem keeps going out of tune.if i were you id keep saving for a rg550 or second hand jem.if you do buy a rg320-350 you will replace the edge 111 cos its real junk its about on par with the stinking lo-trs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would also highly recommend a used RG, that way your getting alot for your money. Check out some, ehem, famous auction sites but make sure you do your research before you buy :O)

Im sure this way you will end up with a killer axe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My first guitar was a second-hander, so I'd really like to own a new one. Wear it in myself and make it mine, you know? I did spot a white holoflake 1980s RG550 on the auction site that shall not be named for £329.99 delivered. I can't post links but I'm sure you'd find it easily on a quick search. I'm nervous about the prospect of buying a guitar without seeing it though, I'd much rather walk into a shop and walk out with a guitar having tried it extensively. Why are the old RG550s so popular anyway?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Why are the old RG550s so popular anyway?
They play beautifully and sound great, most of them anyway... I've owned other high end guitars and sold a few but my '87 RG550 is going nowhere. I understand your concern about buying used online, so make sure you arrange to see it before you buy or buy from a trusted member on Jemsite. Post a WTB ad in the Classifieds and I'm sure something good will turn up. Check gumtree too for local musicians selling RG's.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Great thread. Yeah, the RG550/560 guitars are killer. I have an RG320QS that I bought a few years ago. It's a striking color with the quilted sapele(sp?) body finished in red. As soon as I am able to post photos I'll show you all. It was my first Ibanez for much of the same reason as you are wanting one. Honestly, I don't have that much of a problem with the trem going out of tune. I think it holds-up to the playing as much as the Edge. Yes it's not built like a tank, but it does its job. Since purchasing it, the guitar has gone through a few modifications like changing out the pickups and going with all cosmo hardware. I even upgraded (relative) to a LoTRSII tremolo. It's slightly better than the standard LoTRS and it slots right in. Also if you were inclined, I have read that the Original Floyd Rose tremolo fits right in without any modification to the routing. That would increase the strength and sustainability tenfold. Overall, I think it's a great first Ibanez for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts