Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I've had my RG320DX for about a year now, and I've been mostly happy with it so far. My biggest issue with it is that the Lo-TRSII doesn't stay in tune very well after a few abusive dives and pulls (my RG2550EX with Edge Pro, on the other hand, stays in tune literally for weeks). I was in a local music store the other day, and they have a Jackson Dinky Reverse Professional for $250. I've read pretty good things about the JT-590 trem in this guitar, so would it be worth it to trade in my RG320DX for it? My main issue is tuning stability...other than that, I've been very happy with it. Thanks!
nkri
PS: sorry if this is in the wrong forum; I wasn't sure whether to post in Other Ibanez Guitars or Other 6-String Guitars...

·
Registered
54 Posts
If the problem with your guitar is the whammy, why you don't add a tremolo stabilizer, they cost between $20 - $40.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
If you really enjoy your guitar, I would not trade it. The TRSII trem can be replaced without body modification using one of two VERY stable units. Both Gotoh and Schaller make direct replacement trems and both get stellar reviews out on the net and here on Jemsite.

Gotoh:
http://www.guitarpartsnow.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Gotoh-floyd-rose-gpn

Schaller:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges..._Floyd_Rose_Locking_Tremolo_Complete_Set.html

Good luck, and let us know what you do..........
Ryc

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a tremolo stabilizer prevent or limit pullups? I play a lot of Vai and Satch, and am not willing to lose pullup functionality.

As for the Edge, can it be directly swapped with the Lo-TRS II? I don't wanna rerout the body, especially if I can trade this for a guitar already equipped with a better trem.

Another factor that I'm considering is the thinner neck on the Jackson. I've gotten so used to my RG2550EX (Super Wizard Prestige...17-20mm) and RG7621 (Wizard-7...pretty sure this is also 17-20? Can't seem to find consistent specs about the original Wizard-7), that sometimes I wish the RG320's neck (Wizard II...19-21) were a bit thinner. The Jackson also has 17-20, so this seems like a better option. I do love my Ibbys though...the store is having a sale next week so I'll see if they drop the price at all, and make a decision from there. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the input!
nkri

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So now I have another dilemma. I was looking at another local store's website, and happened to see a used RG570 (pre-AANJ) for $300. Do you think this would be a better deal than the Jackson? Perfect neck, excellent trem...what do you think of the pickups (V1, V2, S1)?
Thanks!
nkri

1 - 7 of 7 Posts