Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking for shorter length saddle height screws for my RG321MHs bridge. It is the bridge previous to the Gibraltar bridge. I'm just looking to make the bridge feel smooth so when I palm mute the screws don't dig in to my palm. Do you guys know where I can find those shorter saddle height screws?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
You mean the old style Gotoh-type bridge? I had the same problem and replaced mine with this. Very comfortable!

I haven't checked yet but I think the screw holes on the new Gibraltar match up as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean the old style Gotoh-type bridge? I had the same problem and replaced mine with this. Very comfortable!

I haven't checked yet but I think the screw holes on the new Gibraltar match up as well.
Yep. That's my bridge. Very comfortable indeed, but I like my action as low as possible without any buzzing, so the screws pop out more then normal, and they kind of grind against my palm when palm muting. Would you know where to find shorter screws for that style bridge?

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Is yours the original Ibanez bridge that looks like that? If so the screws were milled for crap and have jagged ends. The ones on the Gotoh are fairly smooth and don't cut into my hand. I'm not sure if you can get shorter saddle height screws.

·
Registered
57 Posts
its not that the screws are jagged, they are just too ****ing long for low action. ibanez screwed this up, plain and simple.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Those are standard sizes. The Gotoh is a good solution and better made in general than that stock tailpiece.
I wonder if Ibanez would ever consider selling the Gibraltar Standard separately. It's actually a really good fixed bridge system.

·
Registered
57 Posts
a different ibanez i used had shorter screws, otherwise looked the same and worked great when i tried em with this guitar. so it seems like a one-time **** up by ibanez on the rg321

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the mahogany oil finish RG321MH and had the same problems with the screws in the bridge. You can get them online, on websites like ebay, mcmaster-carr and others.

They are called M3x10mm Set Screws, they use a 1.5mm (metric) allen/hex driver to set height. I tried using the M3x8mm set screws and they were just a tad to short on the D and G strings, so M3x12 mights just barely stick out on super low action setups. I was fine with plain set screws but the matching stock type were black oxide finish.

Sadly, this was the only physical flaw holding this Ibanez model back, each set screw was a random length between 13mm up to 17mm on mine and 11.5mm was max needed.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Take one of the screws into a local fastener supply place, or good hardware store, and buy some shorter screws that match. You'll solve your problem for likely less than $2.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts