Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just upgraded my RG370MH to RG520 type specs.

Pickups have been changed to PAF Pros neck and bridge. Additionally I have replaced the TRSII bridge with a Edge.

Two questions: why do the pickups (PAF Pros) sound really thin in the 2nd and 4th positions - how do I fix the problem, and secondly should I leave the single coil pick up cover black or change it to yellow?

Thank you in advance.

-Wolfram

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I don't understand why you say you upgraded to a 520 spec? Did you kill the middle pickup?

If not, you'd be on 570 spec.

If you didn't connect the middle pickup, you're probably switching your neck and bridge pickups into single-coils on position 2 and 4, resulting in a thinner sound.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
sounds like the pickups are out of phase. reverse the single coil's wires and that should fix it. the problem is that, when combined with the single coils, the humbuckers coils are not in correct phase with the single coil. it happens only in positions 2 and 4 because these are the only combined positions. 1, 3, and 5 are all independant pickups.

rich

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't understand why you say you upgraded to a 520 spec? Did you kill the middle pickup?

If not, you'd be on 570 spec.

If you didn't connect the middle pickup, you're probably switching your neck and bridge pickups into single-coils on position 2 and 4, resulting in a thinner sound.
Yes this is true. I never actually thought about it like that. The mahogany body was probably more so what I was refering too as opposed to the pick up layout. I will give it a go at changing the wires around and see how I go.

Thanks for the help thus far.

-Wolfram

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have changed the wires over and it is working perfectly. Thanks for your help Rich you are a life saver.

-Wolfram

1 - 6 of 6 Posts