Ibanez JEM Forum banner

RG420 - Cleaning the flat finish

3K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  musikron 
#1 ·
Hi!

This is my RG 420, it has a cinammon top and a flat finish. I've had it for 6 months and love it!

But I've a small problem with it...

Finger grease will stain the finish very easily. In the picture, you can see it as a dark area around the volume knob. I've tried microfiber cloths, but they won't remove the stain. Does anyone know how to clean this kind of finishes??

See less See more
#14 · (Edited)
Guys, I know it's been a really long time - I've been kind of busy and I chose the slow shipping option....

Anyway, my sticks arrived a few days ago, and I think they're wonderful!! They took most of the fat away from the finish. I left a few rough-looking scuffs in the finish, but they're hardly noticeable. Pretty good considering I have no experience with these things.

I also used them on the back of the neck. The neck now feels smoother, like it was when new.

Old pic:

Now it looks like this...

Invisible in regular light (up), and hardly noticeable under a bright light

Thanks musikron! they worked out pretty well! :smile:

#15 ·
I clicked that link to see how much stew mac overcharges for a simple sanding stick, ready to irritated that some of you would do that... then i looked at the price tag ... haha :D

How long do they last?

OP ->

do the job right, you will enjoy it better. Go get a pair of channel locks, and a screw driver, and pull down the vol/tone pots and the 3 way. It will actually save you time, becuase you wont have to fight yourself around the knobs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.