Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been stymied for quite a while on what I think should be an easy fix. I bought an RG440 a few years ago at a thrift store. As I had sold my two RG570s, I thought it would fit my Ibanez urge. The only problem was that the center hex screw and fastener for the locking trem was missing. No worries, I figured iit was a quick search on eBay and a $10 to $20 fix. No such luck. The center hole in the locking nut is slightly larger. I tried to replace the entire locking nut but that didn’t work either. One I had as a spare, didn’t have the indent. I found one from an old RG with the indent but the screw size was wrong. My next attempt was to simply find a bolt at a hardware store. I finally found one that worked but even though it was the right size for the hole, it was too large to go through the fastener. I even contacted Rich at Ibanez Rulez but no luck. This shouldn’t be this hard. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Give Rich a holler at Ibanez rules. He knows about everything about which parts will work for what. I know you have to match the width & the radius. The radius is 12" I know cuz I have a 440. From 87 on the radius went to 16".

·
Registered
547 Posts
That RG440 must be an '87 because it has the RG headstock rather than the RS headstock shape, therefore it must be 16" radius and that RG locknut that you have with the cutout should be just right, you just need the correct metric screws for it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I will give a shout to Rich again. I reached out a few years ago but I don’t think he had anything at the time. I’m embarrassed how long this stupid project has been sitting.

·
Vendor
26,521 Posts
That nut has had all but 1 mounting hole helicoiled. The reason the center hole is so big is because the coil is missing. I have new nut basses with the truss recess but I'm not sure of the radiuses.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Rich for the help. I’m going to try one more idea that I have and go from there. If not, I might just see if we can take a best guess on this. I’m ready to get this one up and running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts