Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any comments about whether the old-style neck plate on this model gets in the way of playing the high notes? I assume they changed it to the modern sculpted “all-access” joint on other models for this reason but I don’t have an RG521 at my disposal to check (otherwise it looks like a good model for my purposes).
Sunglasses Bumper Automotive exterior Font Auto part

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the insights. A couple of facts: first, yes the RG521 (which is made in Japan) has the tilt neck joint as well as the plate. See new attached pic here (Sweetwater says “a classic-style tilt neck joint provides classic RG feel.”) I read that the tilt is supposed to be easier to play than the earlier block joints but less so than the even thinner All-Access (which I’m familiar with and is great). Second, I’m not Joe Satriani (guys like him could shred on anything!). Third, I do have small hands. I’m not saying this neck would be a big issue, just wondering whether it would be significant enough to think twice. Thing is, they’re offering this model at about half the price of the more modern design Japanese-made RGs and it has what I’m looking for (hard tail, good quality parts etc) except the pickups which are the Ibanez V7 and V8 (never heard them but I read they’re pretty mediocre and I’d probably end up swapping for 3d party pickups). The alternative newer Japanese models would seem to be the RG5221, except it’s fluorescent orange which is not my thing, or RG5121 which has Fishman pickups but again a lot more expensive (even factoring in swapped pickups on the RG521). So this neck question is the only concern.
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I should have mentioned I think the reason this model is a lot cheaper, besides the fact that it’s discontinued, is it has regular (nickel I assume) jumbo frets instead of stainless steel like the Prestige models and also has a basswood body instead of mahogany. From what I hear basswood is not necessarily inferior to mahogany but isn’t as beautiful so they don’t leave it exposed in the back. I think steel frets are better but I’ve always had nickel in past and never found a problem with them. Oh and the Prestige models come with a case but this RG521 doesn’t. Still, it’s a Fujigen made guitar with Gotoh tuners and Gibraltar II bridge etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts