Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! So, I’ve just removed the trem while getting the pickguard off. I know the previous owner added a painted on varnish finish (which I was planning to redo at some point) but in the spring cavity I found much the same finish (a dark red wood varnish type thing) with a black decal over it saying ‘LPRG550’ in large cut out letters then ‘90/18’ in smaller print underneath.

I’ve never heard of Ibanez labelling bodies this way, so I’m assuming this has been added at a later date? I’m a bit confused now, because I’d not really expect top quality finishing somewhere like a spring cavity even if OE but bust making sure this refinish wasn’t attempting to mimic an original finish before I do my thing?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Perhaps the shop he had the work done did that as a labeling or something?

I've seen a few painters sign or mark the trem cavities, so that's the only thing that comes to mind.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve had the neck off now, and it and the body are stamped correctly so I’m positive I do actually have a refinished 1990 RG550 now. The body seems to have started life a kinda candy apple red and then been resprayed mid metallic blue at some point before the current bad red stain I’m currently removing. I reckon the mystery decal in the spring cavity may have been a model ID on the decal sheet from when the stain was done as it more or less matches the black Ibanez tick on the head which had been refinished to match the body.

Probably going to be late September before I’ve finished this due to holidays but I’ll be back to show it off when it’s finished!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.