Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! i hope you are doing well! I'm planning to buy an RG550 year 2002, but my question is, is possible that model includes a Lo Pro Edge and not an Edge bridge? is a little strange for me but maybe some of you can help me. The seller has the original pickguard. What do you think? I attached two pictures of that guitar. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm sorry can't help you out on that.

But I did want to take the opportunity to tell you what a sweet RG that color- combo is. Now that is a shredder to me.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ah mate its fine! :D As long as it has a super wizard, youre gucci.

At any rate; Edge = Lo pro in all regards; quality, playability, "tone" (cmon lol), its just a slightly different shape. These are also completely direct swaps with each other. I've sold probably 20 edge's and lo pro's in the last year alone; people part out guitars, sell the bits and bobs, and that includes the bridges. If someone has a beat to crap Edge, and theres a lo pro on sale they like, its really not that uncommon. Given the color and aluminum pickguard, I'd imagine the guy was emulating an RG550EX; no harm no foul either way.

If you do nab it though... toss those pickups in the trash for me? :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for replying to me guys! To be honest i prefer completely original guitars. Are that pickups so bad? i know, the bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan, thats owner says. What pickups could be a good combination in this guitar for you?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Before tossing the stock pickups, there's a couple of tweaks that might be worth trying out (unless you're going for a specific tone which only a new pu can give). If a neck humbucker is too dark, it's possible to make it brighter by lowering it and raising the adjustable poles to what the pu originally was when flush; or wiring a .047µf capacitor in series between the pickup's hot lead and switch terminal/pot lug. People on here have also swapped the magnets around in these V pickups (the 7 is ceramic and 8 alnico) with success.

Which Duncan is in the bridge? There's so many good aftermarket pickups out there, it depends on what kinds of music you play and what sort of response/feel/output you're going for.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thank you for replying to me guys! To be honest i prefer completely original guitars. Are that pickups so bad? i know, the bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan, thats owner says. What pickups could be a good combination in this guitar for you?
My bad; I assumed the bridge pickup was a v8 seeing the v7 neck. "that bad"? For me yes. I absolutely cant stand v7/v8's. V1/V2 sets are completely hit or miss for me; theres a huge variance on them. Im not a "duncan guy", so I cant speak for whatever is in there unless its a JB or 59 lol. Honestly, I understand your position; original usually is best of course. That said, I really cant stress enough the "identical in basically every important aspect aside from how the plate is shaped" part. Edge = Lo Pro. This isnt a collectors instrument; and Im absolutely not telling you to disregard the changes, but I am saying the change here is completely a wash. Honestly, Lo pros sell for a bit more than edge's (just a little bit), so if the guitar is a reasonably good deal rg550, its coming out on top, especially with the bridge pickup swapped out.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Before tossing the stock pickups, there's a couple of tweaks that might be worth trying out (unless you're going for a specific tone which only a new pu can give). If a neck humbucker is too dark, it's possible to make it brighter by lowering it and raising the adjustable poles to what the pu originally was when flush; or wiring a .047µf capacitor in series between the pickup's hot lead and switch terminal/pot lug. People on here have also swapped the magnets around in these V pickups (the 7 is ceramic and 8 alnico) with success.

Which Duncan is in the bridge? There's so many good aftermarket pickups out there, it depends on what kinds of music you play and what sort of response/feel/output you're going for.
Just for information; Im absolutely not trying to "call you out" or anything silly like that; just some misinformation I'd like to address is all. No offense intended what so ever mate.

I dont really understand how the "magnet swap" got so prolific. It literally does "nothing" (as long as your pickup is height adjustable and has adjustable poles). If the magnet is the same size (it is) all youre changing is the strength of the magnetic field. Theres no "musicality" to a magnet; its just a function of its magnetic field strength... and thats it lol (Im not addressing physical properties like permeability, heat resistance, degaussing resistance, etc its just entirely not applicable). Have a ceramic magnet and want that "silky smooth alnico 5 tone"? Lower your pickup a bit and raise your pole pieces. No, really. Stronger magnet = stronger field applied to the strings. Raising pickup also raises self capacitance; which "can" change the tone (its attenuating more frequencies. This is why I mentioned lowering pickup and raising pole pieces. It mimics the "location" of the alnico in comparison) Inverse square law works to our favor here; as small changes have relatively "dramatic" effect. That said, capacitance distance is linear, and magnetic flux by distance is exponential; the differences are going to be EXTREMELY small. In fact, the length of your cable absolutely will have more effect. It literally is "this simple", and no, theres no "but what about..." here. Faraday, Lenz, and Maxwell's LAWS do not care about your perceptions of tone lol. That said, if youre stuck with body mounted humbucker and want to change the output; then sure go nuts. Alnico magnets are VERY easily damaged and degaussed, the effects will be extremely minimal, and its a relatively big pain in the butt. Want to play around? Swap your v7 and v8. Why not? You already dont like them; maybe a position swap would be dope?

There are so many ways to play with pickups... I understand the nature of wanting to swap magnets; buzzwords by manufacturers that are propagated by ... "traditional" guitarists; we've all heard it. "The sweet smooth tones of the alnico 5" and "ceramic is cold and shrill"... thats all crap though; but fundamentally swapping magnets does seem somewhat "intuitive". Its just not really that simple Im afraid.

Id like to avoid "proving it" for now, but if I must.... lol. Messing with heights and playing with pole pieces can really have a pretty noticeable, and potentially largely positive, effect. Pickup heights can seriously dramatically change the output. That said, the lions share of a pickups "voice" comes from the winds; the rest of the equation obviously matters; but thats really the major factor here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that info guys! anyway, before buying it, i'll check it personally, if that guitar is in good condition and in good shape, i will buy it because i love RG550 model. I don't know what model is the bridge pickup, maybe is a good combination? i don't know yet. Is there something or catalog to know if that bridge was "correct" in that model and that year?

·
Registered
530 Posts
^^ If it sounds good to you through your rig, then it is good, that's all there is to it ;). Looking at the pic again, if the bridge is indeed a Duncan, the model with the double row of black hex screws they offer is the Full Shred (SH-10). In any case, there ought to be a sticker on the baseplate stating the model number.

The first production run of the RG550 lasted 1987-94, and the Lo Pro came stock during 1992-94. In the second production run of 1997-2002, it was just the Edge, as far as I know, the Lo Pro on this particular guitar might have been swapped in by an owner since then. Or it could be a factory 'goof' (happens sometimes).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, i know buddy, that's the most important. I've read about of specifications throw the production year too, in that case i would have preferred to think that was a mistake "goof". Thanks for your comment

1 - 10 of 10 Posts