Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I refinished an RG550 body I bought on the "bay" and stained it walnut. I rerouted it to fit a Kramer 24 fret neck, because I like a thicker neck than the Wizards. Evolution in the bridge, Breed in the neck (smooth), and just stock in the middle (hardly ever use). I screwed up ordering the pickups and ended up with three different colors, cream, white, and yellow, but it adds character. This thing rips.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
interesting - i'll bet it plays great.
i think the yellow adds an extra "something" to it. any color would have worked. i would have gone with creme/blk in the bridge or neck and left the others either all white, all creme or all black. i did that on my RGA121 - it looks nice and sets it apart a little from everything else.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had intended on all white. I ordered the Evo bridge in white, but the dumb *&# that sold it to me was color blind and it turned out cream. So, I just went to a store and bought their yellow Breed instead of ordering a white one online.

Thanks for the compliments.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
marianozz said:
Id have kept the original Edge on that beast... :?
I think he replaced it because the radius did not near match. It looks like that neck has a much smaller radius than a wizard from the pictures... it looks clear but it may be tough to tell.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. I actually just swapped that bridge out for a black one I had laying around. That way it'll match the black tuners on the neck and stock black knobs.

I put the chrome one on this project I got going. The body is a little shakey, but it was the first body I ever cut from scratch. It use to be all mahogany, but the tone sucked so I shaved 3/8" off the top and put on a maple cap. I can't wait to finish it and string it up. I traced my buddy's Sabre series to get the shape, again a less than perfect job. It's close to an N4 Washburn body. I think I need to take a little more out of the upper contour/curve. I'm waiting on a single coil to come in for the neck. Push/pull pot will be my selector switch. No tone, very basic

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The trem was just a licensed one I got on-line, as was the black one I switched out. Both stayed in tune fine with tons of dive bombs.

The "Mutt" plays awesome thanks. Franken-guitars always end up awesome!

I couldn't keep the original trem because I just bought the wired body off the "Bay"

I do agree the headstock doesn't match, but I really wanted the maple neck, and I got a major deal on the Kramer neck.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
t1r12003 said:
I had intended on all white. I ordered the Evo bridge in white, but the dumb *&# that sold it to me was color blind and it turned out cream. So, I just went to a store and bought their yellow Breed instead of ordering a white one online.

Thanks for the compliments.
i had a similar problem with an online store sending me 4, yeah FOUR, pups reg spaced when i specifically asked for F spaced only to find out after i got them that they didn't have the F spaced. i used them any way and they were fine.
sometimes the mutt guitars can be your best friend. i have a guitar i'm working with that has the ugliest finish you've ever seen, a Chandler neck, Robin body, Edge trem, and just an old Holdsworth bridge pup with a volume knob and it is one cool axe. you can see it in the pic on the floor with the scraped body and a stain on it here:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v334/...S and STUFF/?action=view&current=DSC00497.jpg
it originally had an 80's t!tty pink paint job that my brother had sanded with like 40 grit paper (hence the scraped look) and stained very half-hazardly to end up with what you see now. i think of it as the "frayed ends of sanity" finish which is very fitting if you have ever met my bro ;) . the last time i had it playable it really ROCKED! i might actually do a little work on it and have it playable for my gigs this weekend as i haven't used it on stage yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.