Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Rg550 genesis,would you buy?what color?

10K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Ibanx8 
i'll play devil's advocate here...i'm absolutely not afraid to buy an old one and have bought quite a few over the past 5-6 years...my reasoning is this...if the neck hasn't warped or twisted in almost 30 years i figure it's pretty stable at this point...most will need, at the very least, the frets replaced, but i'm cool with that...d.m.

Hey
Would you buy a new rg550?
I am a little worried to buy a old one,since ive heard the neck can damage or twist over time.But the new neck i read it is built stronger even though it is thinner.
What color would you choose for the best resale value?
On the used marked where i live, looking at the old rg550 it seems like the red is the one that holds better resale value.

I would prefere the red rg550dx but i like the maple fretboard on the yellow one better, though i am thinking the yellow would loose it’s contrast making the color dull after many years,.Also the same with red regular rg550,going more orange over time..what do you guys think?is the new one worth the price?
i've heard that about those old necks...even knew a few people that it happened to...but i own a number of old ones (late 80's/early 90's) and none of them have that issue...if the guitar is 30 years old, i would think any neck problems would have surfaced with a particular guitar much earlier than now...d.m.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.