Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Hey i found this guitar on reverb and it has this crack in it, i was wondering if it is a paint crack or like a wood crack?

and is it anything to worry about?
thanks.

View attachment 20399 View attachment 20400
Looks a lot like mine. I have a crack in the finish, but the top photo looks like it goes a little deeper. Take the neck off and look in the pocket if you want to know for sure.

‘’If it is just the paint I wouldn’t worry about it. My crack is in the same place as your top pic, but it looks more like your pic on the bottom, as far as the depth of the crack is concerned. I bought mine new like that, and got it for $799.00. As a brand new guitar with warranty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
These pocket hairline cracks are often a way of identifying a real one they are so common. I often have to do more authentication work if I don't see them. like it would have to be a very minty case queen not to have them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I dont think so as the body is supported. I have read that these cracks happen on softer wood bodies like basswood due to carrying the guitar by the neck without supporting the body. Not vertically but carrying it horizontally by the neck without supporting the body. The weight of the body puts stress on the neck joint.
Just food for thought.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I dont think so as the body is supported. I have read that these cracks happen on softer wood bodies like basswood due to carrying the guitar by the neck without supporting the body. Not vertically but carrying it horizontally by the neck without supporting the body. The weight of the body puts stress on the neck joint.
Just food for thought.
Interesting. I guess they could reduce this risk by designing some kind of integrated handle in the guitar itself?

·
Registered
37 Posts
He he. Or just carry it by the horn. I got into the habit of doing that. I also carry them vertically by the neck in front of my torso so as not to bash them against stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts