Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have a quick question regarding the original wizard neck on my '87 Rg550. Is it considered a finished or unfinished maple? I just bought it used and am trying to decide how to go about cleaning it. I have oil finished maple necks on some of my other guitars and for those I clean and condition them regularly. I'm not sure what kind of care this requires/if there's no need to oil the fretboard, etc. To be more specific I'm referring to both the back of the neck and the fretboard. Thanks a lot

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
I can't speak for the '87, but all the '88 and later RG5xx/7xx guitars I've had have had a gloss lacquer finish. I guess we'd need pictures of yours to tell for sure. If your fretboard is maple, it has a lacquer finish.

BTW...... My '86 RG410 has an oil finish on the back of the neck (rosewood fretboard)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
my 87 had the gloss back.
the fretboards lose thir finish after a while so you can simple green and toothbrush and just reoil it.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
87;s were "hand oil finished", Im assuming tung oil due to lack of shine on them.

Good video primer on what to do for neck cleaning.

also be sure to check out the tech section on ibanez rules!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi

i do not want to open new thread so I ask here. That tung oil thing was used on the back of guitars? Got 570 (2003) and now 550 (2000) and back of the neck is somewhat varnished, but it is surely not the "laquer" like on my Warbeast, which is VERY smooth and shiny (too much I would say).

I would also ask if someone tried to shime bit back of the neck, like 0,05 mm to get rid of scratches and varnish it afterwards (same goes with fretbord but just for clearing it, so almost no sanding in wood). As the last thing, what should I use? polyurethane? some wax or get it Nitroed? If someone has a link for describing those methods, I will be happy for them. Thanks guys. Sorry for being dumb, maple boards are new to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts