Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I finally got around to taking pix of my new acquisition since Sept. Serial# F145xxx, presuming it was made in 91, it technically has the same first 4 digits as my UVGR. Got this from a fellow Jemsiter (Ibanut) and he asked me to keep the original parts if I ever modify it. I had planned this guitar to a be a standard C guitar as I've never had any of my guitars tuned that way.
First of all, I dig the finish. Magenta/Purple with direct sunlight, Violet Blue in the shade. The stock V7/V8's were not bad with the C tuning but not quite the tone I was looking for. So I played around with the V-RG builder to find odd colors that compliments the guitar before I order new pickups. Finally got contact cleaner to clean the scratchy noise the 5-pole switch was making. I also ordered D-sonic and Breed neck pickups a few weeks ago; arrived in the mail yesterday. Installed it in a few hours and voila!

V-RG version (after a little photoshopping):

The original guitar before it arrived to me. Yes it's the same guitar; So. Cal sun makes the finish look like the purple on Honda Civics of the same-era. The green single coil cover is taller than the S1 - waiting a C2 to get that minor aesthetic resolved.

Otherwise, this guitar feels heavier and resonates more than my RG760 and weighs just as much as my UV. I've debated with a few cohorts whether it's the maple fretboard that gives it more weight or some special attention given to 550 bodies. This RG's neck feels beefier than the RG7xx necks i'm accustomed to nor does it feel like an RG20th neck; it's different in a good way. Still saving to get an Edge to swap the Lo-Pro...
I think i'll keep this for a long time...

Reg

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why swap the lo-pro for an edge?
Well... comparing the RG550 to my RG760, although they're two/three years apart, they have the same depth for the bridge route. I would assume that RG's during the Lo-Pro transition had routes meant for Edge's. My UVGR has a Lo-Pro but has a deeper bridge route (aprox 1/4" deeper); that can do 5th pullups.
The action on the RG760 is pretty low and can do 5th pullups whereas the 550's action is about medium-low, could be lower but I can only do 3rd pullups, if i'm lucky. It could also be the tuning that's affecting it...
But to answer your q: so I can do more whammy pull-up tricks with the RG550 :p

Reg

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Used to have RG550DX in Purple Neon back in '91. Wish I still had it

Congrats BTW, looks great
Thanks... I guess graduating from art school paid-off :p
I thought these guitars are from '92? I'm going off from the catalog shots on Rich's site.

Reg

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The knobs from a PC seller from the 'bay believe it or not ($7.00 shipped for both!). I guess computers and guitars do intersect... PM me if you need the seller info.
The switch tip from Rich after asking him to search his unlisted parts bin... he said it came from a 770. I was looking for purple but was very surprised when he replied he had one in violet metallic [for a damn good price I might add]. Plus it was something to add from the $10 minimum purchase haha

Reg

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I made a quick visualization of a neck cross-section [not to scale of course] on how I feel these necks differ from each other though I could be wrong...

Though these necks have similar thickness on paper, it's the "roundness" that makes or break these necks. For me, the neck on the PN feels rounder than an RG20th, not quite Wizard II but "beefier". The 7xx's necks I've played seem consistent in terms of feel; they're just as thin as an RG20th except it has a slightly steeper "slope".
The color scheme for the odd purple/green combo was inspired by this guy :p

Reg

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think the color scheme is AWESOME!! Very creative in terms of where you got the idea from. Where did you get the different colored bobbins on the humbuckers from?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where did you get the different colored bobbins on the humbuckers from?
custom-ordered DiMarzio's + single coil cover from banjomike on the 'bay, great seller. The purple used on bobbin toppers look "darker" than the DiMarzio purple. Sides, don't they usually come 5 pieces per color nowadays? Only bought white ones for my 760 when they barely first came out and sold as single toppers.

Reg

·
Registered
466 Posts
Well... comparing the RG550 to my RG760, although they're two/three years apart, they have the same depth for the bridge route. I would assume that RG's during the Lo-Pro transition had routes meant for Edge's. My UVGR has a Lo-Pro but has a deeper bridge route (aprox 1/4" deeper); that can do 5th pullups.
The action on the RG760 is pretty low and can do 5th pullups whereas the 550's action is about medium-low, could be lower but I can only do 3rd pullups, if i'm lucky. It could also be the tuning that's affecting it...
But to answer your q: so I can do more whammy pull-up tricks with the RG550 :p

Reg
If so, I understand you!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wow like I said in the pm...we have almost the same guitar.....mine is a 92...I have the matching purple mirror pickguard and truss rod cover, and original edge trem(my fav. bridge). My pickups are black though(air zone, and paf joe), and my pickguard has one hole for a single volume control, no tone pot(my volume is where the tone pot is, similar to PGs). The volume knob on rgs is not where I like it.

I may pick up one of those purple knobs, thanks for the link but I may keep it black to match the pickups hardware. Those knobs are cool, all I would need is one.

The neck is very thin wizard atw. It's my fav. axe..that guitar with the pickup combo I use(I went through a lot of dimarzios to find the sound I was lookin' for) has serious mojo and is stunning to the eye.

I'm gonna post pics here soon.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow like I said in the pm...we have almost the same guitar.....mine is a 92...I have the matching purple mirror pickguard and truss rod cover, and original edge trem(my fav. bridge). My pickups are black though(air zone, and paf joe), and my pickguard has one hole for a single volume control, no tone pot(my volume is where the tone pot is, similar to PGs). The volume knob on rgs is not where I like it.

I may pick up one of those purple knobs, thanks for the link but I may keep it black to match the pickups hardware. Those knobs are cool, all I would need is one.

The neck is very thin wizard atw. It's my fav. axe..that guitar with the pickup combo I use(I went through a lot of dimarzios to find the sound I was lookin' for) has serious mojo and is stunning to the eye.

I'm gonna post pics here soon.
Can't wait for the pix man! You have an Edge on your PN? How'd ya get one? The volume knob is kinda bothering though I am trying to resist to get a new purple mirror pickguard with a volume control position similar to a JEM...

Reg

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks... I guess graduating from art school paid-off :p
I thought these guitars are from '92? I'm going off from the catalog shots on Rich's site.

Reg
Maybe it was '92. Seems like an age ago now haha. Yep, come to think of it, it was '92, got my S540LTD in '91 ;)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I made a quick visualization of a neck cross-section [not to scale of course] on how I feel these necks differ from each other though I could be wrong...

Though these necks have similar thickness on paper, it's the "roundness" that makes or break these necks. For me, the neck on the PN feels rounder than an RG20th, not quite Wizard II but "beefier". The 7xx's necks I've played seem consistent in terms of feel; they're just as thin as an RG20th except it has a slightly steeper "slope".
The color scheme for the odd purple/green combo was inspired by this guy :p

Reg
the 760 is thinner??? wow that's a first... i thought the wizard was a standart...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts