Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lo-Pro Trem Is Squeaking

Ever since I bought the RG550 Reissue I've always had a problem with the dryness of the fretboard. I love the way the neck FEELS but it seems I have to constantly condition this thing. I've played many other Rosewoods that have all kept conditioned and felt great, but this fretboard on my RG seems to be very stubborn. For example, if it gets too dry, when bending, it feels like the strings are almost scraping against the fretboard instead of gliding across it (and it's not a question of low action, as I have played other RG's with Rosewood boards that are set up to action like mine and they've felt fine). It feels amazing a day or two after I condition it, but then it dries out again. I don't use Lemon Oil as I've heard that just worsens the dryness over time, so I use Fender Fretboard Conditioner, made for Rosewood and Ebony fretboards. However, this doesn't seem to be getting the job done.

Does anyone know what I can do/use to condition and lubricate the Rosewood and have it STAY feeling moisturized?

Thanks.

*Thread changed to concentrate on other issue, read below*

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^Thanks.

So I just buy a bottle of the Fret Doctor and apply it as I would the Fender Fretboard Conditioner during a string change? How often do you have to apply the Fret Doctor?

·
Super Moderator
4,212 Posts
One drop per fret, work it in with your finger, and then let it sit for about 10 minutes. Wipe off the excess and string it up. You will only have to apply Fret Doctor once or twice a year.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^Great, thanks a lot for the help. Purchased a 60mL bottle yesterday. I assume I should have clean hands before working it in with my finger.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All right, another problem - this time with my Lo-Pro. Whenever I depress the trem arm fully, the bridge squeaks. It's not hindering my tuning stability, but I'd still very much like to get rid of it. Is there something I need to check/lubricate to stop the squeaking?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
No, although it can be a little more comprehensive. Turn the studs anticlockwise a half turn, put some chapstick on the edge that is now facing towards the neck, then turn it back, the sliding motion will deposit the chapstick onto the knife edges.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I got the Fret Doctor and applied it exactly as instructed. The Rosewood is still just as dry, I have no idea what's wrong with this but it seems it can't be salvaged. It's going to be hell finding a new neck that I can use for the reissue RG550.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
A: Pictures

B: if its super super dry just use more oil, the 1 drop per fret is usually for the average board, your not going to hurt the guitar by putting more on, let it soak in then wipe the excess off after like 30 min, heck you could really drown the board and let it sit for a few days, it will still not hurt it, I'm sure as you read on that site some dude filled a 150 year old ebony flute with this stuff and let it sit for a long time. Oh, and don't use your fingers, use a clean rag.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not a case of aesthetics, it constantly feels like the strings are scraping against the fretboard rather than gliding across it, as it should. I could care less about how dark my Rosewood is, I just want to feel conditioned. I applied more Fret Doctor, two drops, worked in with a cloth, and let it sit for 45 minutes. Now it feels moist, after 15 minutes of meticulous wiping to get the excess off. When I play it, my fingers become slippery as do the strings, and yet the board still feels like the strings are scraping against the wood (keep in mind I have a very light touch and raised the action to 1.8 mm on the bass side).

I'm out of ideas.

I'll try to get some pictures. It might look dark because of all the Fret Doctor I've applied, but rest assured, there was virtually no improvement in feel.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
It's not a case of aesthetics, it constantly feels like the strings are scraping against the fretboard rather than gliding across it, as it should. I could care less about how dark my Rosewood is, I just want to feel conditioned. I applied more Fret Doctor, two drops, worked in with a cloth, and let it sit for 45 minutes. Now it feels moist, after 15 minutes of meticulous wiping to get the excess off. When I play it, my fingers become slippery as do the strings, and yet the board still feels like the strings are scraping against the wood (keep in mind I have a very light touch and raised the action to 1.8 mm on the bass side).

I'm out of ideas.

I'll try to get some pictures. It might look dark because of all the Fret Doctor I've applied, but rest assured, there was virtually no improvement in feel.
I always let my necks sit for a day after wiping to let it really soak in before touching it, you gotta be patient with this stuff.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^Ah, again the truth is a bitch.

Thanks a lot for the help, at least I'll stop wasting my time. Although I don't understand why Ibanez would manufacture a neck like this, to feel constantly dry. Surely not all 550RXX's necks are like this?

·
Vendor
26,452 Posts
They're not going to throw out a rosewood board because it's end grain. It's just as likely to end up on a JEM as it would on a 550.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts