Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of buying an RG550XX RFR that looks to be in good condition except for two paint chips on the edge of the guitar in between the base of the guitar and the input jack. Would you guys pull the trigger for $650? Also, is there any way to fix the paint chips if I do buy it - ie is possible to replicate the RFR color?

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
The color can probably be matched to some degree, but it won't be perfect. You also have to consider that your "touch-up" paint is going to cost a good $60-$100 to have made.

That puts the price of the guitar at about $700 or more and it's still not "perfect".

I'd pass unless you can get it down to $600 or less.

·
Registered
931 Posts
The color can probably be matched to some degree, but it won't be perfect. You also have to consider that your "touch-up" paint is going to cost a good $60-$100 to have made.

That puts the price of the guitar at about $700 or more and it's still not "perfect".

I'd pass unless you can get it down to $600 or less.
I know who can repaint that sucker accurately.
I would offer 550 or pass. But I can't do a guitar with dings.
It's against my religion and would have to be repainted.

I know who can match the color.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I hate dings too! I get grief all the time over my no dings policy. Get a killer deal or keep looking. Just snagged a 550XX in DY in pristine condition. Paid mint but am very happy with it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Of course a mint body is preferable, but I don't mind dings, as long as the price is right. But, it's dings that someone has tried to fix poorly that I would pass on. You know, the color is a mismatch and runs over the wood chip onto the real body paint.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I know who can repaint that sucker accurately.
I would offer 550 or pass. But I can't do a guitar with dings.
It's against my religion and would have to be repainted.

I know who can match the color.
I got my RG550 (1993) for just about 400 USD with some dings and some damage on it. My 560 is in far better condition at the same price. Maybe Japanese prices are weird :? For a high quality guitar, a few minor dings are okay as long as they dont effect playability.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! I couldn't get a break in the pricing so I passed. However, I did find two 2000-ish RG570 each for $325. Both have chips, but look good otherwise - one is green while the other is grey-purple. Would you guys bite?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.