Ibanez JEM Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I'm actually more into strong, medium output pickups and not super hot ones. Will definitely look into the brass block for mine.
Yep, I've never been a fan of high output pickups like the X2N, etc. I actually think you get better gain response with medium pickups like a PAF Pro.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm really leaning towards one of these. My only gripe is the lack of an AANJ. I love that feature.

I'm also considering a RG652 but not sure if it's worth the extra $$ over the RG565.

I've had quite a few Ibbys over the years but never a MIJ model. I'm pretty excited to finally be getting one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks great! Ibanezes just look right with DiMarzio straps! I'm giving the stock pickups a fair shot when mine arrives. I'm actually more into strong, medium output pickups and not super hot ones. Will definitely look into the brass block for mine.
the brass block is probably the most important mod that I made. Huge difference in the tone of the guitar after replacing the tiny stock block

And I agree, I tend to stick to pickups with A5 magnets that are wound anywhere from 12k-16k DCR. Right now my other main guitar is rocking a Norton in the bridge :wink2:

I'm really leaning towards one of these. My only gripe is the lack of an AANJ. I love that feature.

I'm also considering a RG652 but not sure if it's worth the extra $$ over the RG565.

I've had quite a few Ibbys over the years but never a MIJ model. I'm pretty excited to finally be getting one.
If the reissues are anywhere near the same league as the originals then $1000 is a stupid good deal. I wouldn't worry too much about the square heel if I were you; in fact I personally like the square heels because it makes for a really stable anchor point when I'm on the high frets (I also have Vai-sized hands tho)

Also: the square heels are a little bit easier to set up, imo; the neck has a slightly different geometry to AANJ necks and it takes shims a little bit better in my experience (been through 6 MIJ Ibbys from 1989-2002, 3 square heel and 3 AANJ)

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the reissues are anywhere near the same league as the originals then $1000 is a stupid good deal. I wouldn't worry too much about the square heel if I were you; in fact I personally like the square heels because it makes for a really stable anchor point when I'm on the high frets (I also have Vai-sized hands tho)

Also: the square heels are a little bit easier to set up, imo; the neck has a slightly different geometry to AANJ necks and it takes shims a little bit better in my experience (been through 6 MIJ Ibbys from 1989-2002, 3 square heel and 3 AANJ)
Good to know, thanks.

Really looking forward to these and the other offerings for 2021.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
My Bro was looking for a guiter for his studio in a price range 1000 € and asked me to support. As an IbanezManiac, it was clear, it has to be an Ibby. First i aimed at a Genesis modell, remaining the famous Rg 550, MIJ. But then, i fell about the RG6PFGMLTD-GBB. Such a nice Axe i thought (i love colors). So i called my friend and recommended to order one. This evening i had a little time to visit him and inspect the beauty. Although "Made in Indonesia", I was impressed about the design and the quality of this instrument. The neck feels almost similar to my Jem2kDNA, so after a short time i felt "at home" . With the DiMarzio pup combination, (similar to many J- Customs), playing through the HELX, i got an excellent sound.
What i couldn't test was the abuse of the trem in connection with the tuning stability, because of a lack of time (Corona: you have to stay at home after 09:00 PM).
But next time, i will also test that. My first impression is: you get an eye catcher (of course in the eye of the beholder), a high quality axe for this budget, that plays fine.
Cheers Wolfgang

·
Registered
13 Posts
And I agree, I tend to stick to pickups with A5 magnets that are wound anywhere from 12k-16k DCR. Right now my other main guitar is rocking a Norton in the bridge :wink2:
How you like the Norton? From all the reading and browsing around, that's the one I'm thinking of getting for my RG570 or the 565 when it gets here. What are you playing through pedal and amp wise?

·
Registered
10 Posts
How you like the Norton? From all the reading and browsing around, that's the one I'm thinking of getting for my RG570 or the 565 when it gets here. What are you playing through pedal and amp wise?
I have the Norton in a 2020 HM Strat and my core tone consists of an always on Maxon CP101 (with very mild settings just to so the amp sees a more consistent input level) into a Panama Fuego on the drive channel without the gain boost (it's a Marshall kind of thing). With just that the Norton covers me from funky cleans all the way up to like a late 70s hard rock sound by using the volume knob. It splits well, playing nicely with the stock single coils to approximate more traditional Strat sounds. It's a nice and clear pickup that still has enough power to push my amp; harmonics are pretty easy to grab with it as well.

It's a good all around pickup, but there are a couple things I'm not the biggest fan of:
-The resonant peak is a little higher than my Holydiver (a JB-style pickup) which makes the Norton less friendly to solo on.
-If I run a tubescreamer into my amp (drive 0 vol 10) to get to metal territory it doesn't quite do the metal sound as well as the Holydiver (I'm working on finding a drive pedal that interacts more how I want for this)

For what it's worth, when I asked DiMarzio about a JB or Holydiver style pickup they pointed me to the AT-1. I ended up going Norton because the HM Strat is a slightly shorter scale length and so I thought a slighty brighter pickup would be the move.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
My Bro was looking for a guiter for his studio in a price range 1000 € and asked me to support. As an IbanezManiac, it was clear, it has to be an Ibby. First i aimed at a Genesis modell, remaining the famous Rg 550, MIJ. But then, i fell about the RG6PFGMLTD-GBB. Such a nice Axe i thought (i love colors). So i called my friend and recommended to order one. This evening i had a little time to visit him and inspect the beauty. Although "Made in Indonesia", I was impressed about the design and the quality of this instrument. The neck feels almost similar to my Jem2kDNA, so after a short time i felt "at home" . With the DiMarzio pup combination, (similar to many J- Customs), playing through the HELX, i got an excellent sound.
What i couldn't test was the abuse of the trem in connection with the tuning stability, because of a lack of time (Corona: you have to stay at home after 09:00 PM).
But next time, i will also test that. My first impression is: you get an eye catcher (of course in the eye of the beholder), a high quality axe for this budget, that plays fine.
Cheers Wolfgang
Wow... Stunning guitar and nice features! I like everything about it except for the Tone Zone bridge, but that is easily fixed. Thanks for posting about it, I had not seen that model yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's a good all around pickup, but there are a couple things I'm not the biggest fan of:
-The resonant peak is a little higher than my Holydiver (a JB-style pickup) which makes the Norton less friendly to solo on.
-If I run a tubescreamer into my amp (drive 0 vol 10) to get to metal territory it doesn't quite do the metal sound as well as the Holydiver (I'm working on finding a drive pedal that interacts more how I want for this)
I had ordered and then canceled a 2020 Ice Blue HM Strat! I was so excited when they came out! Canceled due to the pandemic made me rethink my spending a bit. Was super eager to enjoy the 25" scale. The excitement wore off a bit, but not fully. Fast forward to now and these 565's just got to me.

Thanks for the Norton description. To be honest, I'm not sure what sound I am looking from the bridge humbucker, but know what I won't be playing. No super gain metal. I think I want a modern take on the PAF, an upgraded PAF Pro, maybe Fred-like. Not super rocking like a Tone Zone (too bassy) and for some reason, I feel I won't like a Super Distortion. I like early 80's tones, Pyromania tones, Hard rock but not fizzy sounds. And got to be able to get cool cleans for processing with effects. So a Norton seems like a good starting point. I may have convinced myself to get a PAF pro for my 570, and get the norton for my 565.

Happy Holidays!

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Cheers Wolfgang
This is a sound example throuhg a helix into headrush 112.
https://vimeo.com/495064695
Cheers !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure if anyone noticed but none of the online music retailers have the new rg565 for sale anymore. I contacted the rep from Sweetwater that had called and emailed me about when I placed my order for one and said it was discontinued but that they expect a shipment to arrive and I will receive mine. Not sure what all this is about, thought I should share it. Glad I ordered mine quickly! I almost didn't.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Not sure if anyone noticed but none of the online music retailers have the new rg565 for sale anymore. I contacted the rep from Sweetwater that had called and emailed me about when I placed my order for one and said it was discontinued but that they expect a shipment to arrive and I will receive mine. Not sure what all this is about, thought I should share it. Glad I ordered mine quickly! I almost didn't.
As said above, production and shipping is slow, not just for guitars, I imagine.

Likewise, those looking for an RG550 Genesis will also be somewhat disappointed because they're out of stock/back ordered in several outlets. I was looking at them recently and noticed that several places in Europe and the US don't have them. At Thomann, for example, there's a 13-17 week wait!

·
Vendor
26,327 Posts
I just got 2 PN's that weren't due till February so it may not be that dire, but it may be a fluke too, dealers on hold ahead of me, who knows.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, If anyone hears anything email-wise of when these 565's are shipping, feel free to drop the info here!

Not that I'm desperate or complaining for the wait. Just would like to hear some good news.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, did it?
Nope!

Not even an email from Sweetwater! I'm not mad. To be honest, life has been hectic recently and I know I would not have enjoyed or played it as much as I want had it gotten here. I'm good with whatever or whenever the Universe decides to send it!

Thanks for asking!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts