Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Back in June I got an awesome Ibanez RG565 Genesis, and I thought the stock V8 sounded a little bit muffled. I installed a Norton bridge laying around and it was still muffled sounding, Third try with a D'activator X also laying around, muffled. Even at 10, it still sounds like the tone knob is rolled to a 5.

Every other guitar I have sounds great through my Orange Crush 35RT. I was thinking a FRED or something lower output, to hopefully boost the highs. But I still want a sparkly, sharp chug, and relatively clear distorted open chords.

Any ideas that could help me out?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I've heard of people installing a 1 meg tone pot to brighten up a guitar... Not sure if that would be a viable option? I have a dull guitar and would like to try it sometime, but haven't gotten around to ordering new pots. (Ironically, it came with a V8, then I tried a Norton, then an Evo2)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I would definitely try a pot before another pickup. This sounds like it's been an expensive endeavor. It could be just the pot in general having an issue. It wouldn't hurt to run a meter over the pot and see if the values are where they should be. A pot is only like... $6-$12. They're pretty cheap.

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
It could be a potentiometer, it could just be the slab of basswood that the body is made of. I had an RG20TH RFR that just sounded dead compared to other guitars. It was such a shame, as I love RFR, but I needed the funds at the time, and it just was the guitar in the stable that did not sing. Went through a bunch of pickups, filters on the pickup to reduce low end, etc, and it just was never quite "right".

Try a replacement 1Meg pot if the stock volume doesn't read properly around 500k, and/or you can try the filter method that I experimented with too. Old post from my blog about the capacitor mod below:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also a longtime lurker, but I had to chime in with the others and heartily recommend a 1meg pot change. I've got a Jem jr that I had a D Activator X neck and X2N installed into it with 1meg pots and the D Activator X sounds amazing because of it, great bass and warmth without being muddy. I've got a BC-2 in the middle but I'll be swapping that out for a Super Distortion S, it was a placeholder until I could get the super d/s (which will be a stealthy black).
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument accessory String instrument

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Back in June I got an awesome Ibanez RG565 Genesis, and I thought the stock V8 sounded a little bit muffled. I installed a Norton bridge laying around and it was still muffled sounding, Third try with a D'activator X also laying around, muffled. Even at 10, it still sounds like the tone knob is rolled to a 5.

Every other guitar I have sounds great through my Orange Crush 35RT. I was thinking a FRED or something lower output, to hopefully boost the highs. But I still want a sparkly, sharp chug, and relatively clear distorted open chords.

Any ideas that could help me out?
Now that's odd! I have an RGR465M (essentially, the same as yours) with a D-Activator and the darn thing is treble galore!
Something weird is going on there...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.