Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 RG570 (root beer metallic, with AANJ) that finally needs a re-fret. I would like to replace the frets with wire as close to the original as possible. I am able to measure with a caliper and find that the "width" is .110" (2.8mm). But because the neck was leveled and re-crowned before I bought it I am not able to determine the original "height" of the frets. After scouring many posts on several forums I can't seem to find a definitive answer. There are many fret wire charts out there but that doesn't tell me what the height was when the frets were new.
Does anyone out there know (or even better, have a similar neck with unmolested frets that they could measure) the original height of these frets?
(I am fairly sure that the neck is a Super Wizard. It is 17mm thick at the first fret and 20mm thick at the 12th fret.)
I know the replacement wire doesn't have to be exactly the same as the original but I would like to get as close as reasonably possible.
Many thanks if anyone can help with this info... b.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A504, it looks like the 6100 may be about as close as I am going to be able to get on this.
From what I have read Ibanez did not actually use Dunlop wire but had their own. So for a re-fret it's a matter of sorting thru all of the different aftermarket wires to find the best approximation.
I'm still hoping to find someone out there with an original 1997–2002 Super Wizard neck, with frets in original condition, who is willing to get out a straight edge and the feeler gauges and take an actual measurement of the fret height. I've seen several other posts looking for this info and no one has ever gotten an answer, so this measurement could be of help to a number of other owners out there as well. The only other thing I can add is that it seems that the 2000–2002 RG550 also had the same Super Wizard neck... tks b.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a set of RG frets (part number 4FW1J215) from Rich (ibanezrules.com) awhile back; measurements are .113 width, .117 overall height, .0655 tang height, and .024 tang width, taken with a calibrated digital caliper (from work).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a set of RG frets (part number 4FW1J215) from Rich (ibanezrules.com) awhile back; measurements are .113 width, .117 overall height, .0655 tang height, and .024 tang width, taken with a calibrated digital caliper (from work).
nlinny, wow, great info! I've purchased pots and such from Rich in the past but did not think to check with him for frets. I just emailed him to see about ordering a set.
From the measurements you gave, the height of the fret above the finger board would be .051". That sounds right since my frets are well below that now after being re-crowned.
Have you installed the frets that you got from Rich? If so, how do you like them. Were they put on an RG?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got them to have as spares for a '90 RG550CM. They are the same ones that are on the neck, and those feel great to me with the thin neck in regards to the ease of fretting notes.
The tang width of the frets on my 550 is .024"; 4FW1J215 is a dead-on match.
They appear to match up to the Dunlop 6120 (given the tang width).

FYI, Ibanez has another part number (4FW1J216) listed as a J-Custom Jumbo which measures 2.8mm wide (.110") and 1.3mm tall (.051"); however, they do not detail the tang width.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got them to have as spares for a '90 RG550CM. They are the same ones that are on the neck, and those feel great to me with the thin neck in regards to the ease of fretting notes.
The tang width of the frets on my 550 is .024"; 4FW1J215 is a dead-on match.
They appear to match up to the Dunlop 6120 (given the tang width).

FYI, Ibanez has another part number (4FW1J216) listed as a J-Custom Jumbo which measures 2.8mm wide (.110") and 1.3mm tall (.051"); however, they do not detail the tang width.
The info on ibanez.wikia seems to show that the neck you have and the neck I have are very close in dimension
Wizard Neck (1990) RG550
1993 648mm/ 25.5" 43mm 57mm 17mm 20mm 430mmR
Super Wizard (2001) RG570
1999 648mm/ 25.5" 43mm 56mm 17mm 20mm 430mmR
Just a 1mm difference in the width at the last fret. I think the 4FW1J215 is going to be what I will go with.
Now I just need to find someone trustworthy to do the work. I live in the FL Keys and there isn't anyone within 3 or 4 hours of here.
Many thanks for the help...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts