Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i recently bought a 2nd hand Ibanez rg570, its a 1990 model.

Now when i got it, the bridge wasnt set up at all, and i dont think the action had been touched. My first guitar had a lisenced Floyd so i already knew how to set that up. I looked on an ibanez help site and lowered the action too.

I lowered it as far as the nuts will turn, my question is, is there any way of getting it lower? It's just, the action on my ibanez is still quite a bit higher than my other guitar and I'm having problems being able to tap and sweep as well as i can on my other guitar.

To lower the action all i did was turned the hex-key nuts (either side of the bridge) clockwise, and it is now as far as it can go. I think i may need to take this guitar in to get the inotation set up and the truss adjusted anyway, because i dont really want to try it myself.

Thanks for any help you can offer

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Having never owned a guitar with an Original Edge trem, I can't if there's anything special to do as far as adjusting the bridge. I DO know that on every guitar the action is controlled by both the bridge height and the tension on the neck. A very delicate balance has to be struck and I've only met one person who can find this balance every time he goes to adjust a guitar (that person being my guitar tech). So, I would definitely say to take it to a professional who knows about that guitar and have them set it up at atleast once to your liking.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Like Ibateur said, there are locking posts in your guitar and the set-screw(which you can access with a 1.5mm allen key through the center of the posts) will need to be loosened to get the full range of adjustment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So do I totally unscrew the allen nuts? I thought it was gonna my my bridge come off so i didnt totally unscrew them.

Im kinda confused as to what to do now. I thought the allen nuts were locked into the screws underneath, and thats what lowers the bridge?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome i understand now, so you put the 1.5 mm alan down the hole in the middle of the nuts?

I cant seem to lock it into anything down there though?? Maybe i need a slightly larger key

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.