Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought an RG570 body off not-so-evilbay.

i originally bought it with the idea of refinishing it, but it is in such mint condition that it'd seem a shame to chance it! well, i guess we'll see about that... got some ideas in mind... am thinking of doing a 6 string version of a UV777BK (i just love that binding :))

anyhow, just wanting some more information from the gurus: it has "RG157005" stamped in the neck pocket. does this make it a regular 570 or a prestige 1570? if it's any help, it appears that it had direct mount pick-ups as opposed to pick-up rings. the colour is a metallic dark silver, but not the textured vital silver.

will be looking for a neck for this thing shortly. will any aanj neck fit?

also, while i'm on an asking questions roll, are there any custom shops that are actually still taking orders for things like binding, etc? i know that EKG, LGM et al do amazing work, but they are just too busy. are there any others out there?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
If the neck pocket is stamped RG1570** it's a prestige model not a standard RG570 :wink:

That wasn't the same one they had all parted out was it?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scott 74 said:
If the neck pocket is stamped RG1570** it's a prestige model not a standard RG570 :wink:

That wasn't the same one they had all parted out was it?
there's a stack of RG's on the 'bay that are parted out. some low-end, some higher-end. i guess you could say this one was parted out, too, as i only got the body! mind you, the seller didn't have any of the other bits, so...

i guess that's good that it's a 1570 and not just a 570? the downside is that i'll have to source a prestige neck now to do it justice!

·
Registered
174 Posts
damo7v said:
i guess that's good that it's a 1570 and not just a 570? the downside is that i'll have to source a prestige neck now to do it justice!
Well, they´re actually the same. Prestige is only associated with the neck. The bodies don´t get any special treatment.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heka said:
Well, they´re actually the same. Prestige is only associated with the neck. The bodies don´t get any special treatment.
i'm sure of that. it's just another slab of basswood, really.

but it's the vibe... there's karma in it... it was obviously attached to a prestige neck at some point. it'd be wrong to attach it to anything else now. unless one of those banner-at-the-top companies are still doing custom necks.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
A 1570 body is routed for an Edge Pro, you might have intonation trouble putting any other bridge in it.

That's the only downside I can think of. :)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
toshiro said:
A 1570 body is routed for an Edge Pro, you might have intonation trouble putting any other bridge in it.

That's the only downside I can think of. :)
but you see i'm one of those silly people that actually don't mind the edge pro :)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
damo7v said:
but you see i'm one of those silly people that actually don't mind the edge pro :)
Hey, no problems there. :) Just seems like there's lots of people trying to put other things in those guitars, or the Edgo Pro in a guitar not made for it, lately. :)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Flobanez said:
I think a UV777BK 6-string version would look pretty cool.
How are you going to do the pearloid binding?
now THAT is the million dollar question!

i don't have much confidence in tackling it myself... i'd love to find a professional/semi-professional to do it for me. interested?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they're too busy to do little things like that these days.

know of any others?

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Nope. Thats tough. I'd use vinyl but it would look cheesy:lol:
I worked in a sign shop years ago and loaded up on some high performance vinyl.
I have very little black marble left. I cut a straight line(long line). I just kept using a ruler and cut a straight line and put it on my guitar and it looked cool from far away.
But up close, you could tell it wasn't a professional binding job.

I'd still try EKG or LGM just for kicks. The wait might be worth it.;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts