Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

First time posting here! Recently i bought an RG652 Prestige and after playing for a month i realized my light "e" string is slipping away more than usual especially during some weird pulloffs. It feels like "the string is too close to the end of the bottom end of the fret". Never had that many "string slipping out" while playing my S 5470TKS the last 10 years.

Is the RG652 neck "just like that" or is smth i can tune to somehow bring the "light e" string a bit closer to the b string or smth? maybe faulty product?

I am attatching some images showing what i described! Neck type is "Super Wizard HP"

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Those photos don't show much really except roughly symmetrical string to fret-end clearance on both sides of the fretboard. The fretwork is meh, over cut slightly too short for me at fret 12-15 high-E (look at the gap between fret end and binding). Assuming the neck is straight in the pocket and nut 43mm you can use a 42mm nut to give more room or easier yet adjust the nut toward the low-E. Also a setup would help if you're fighting the strings/setup it makes all the heavier a touch. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i ve noticed some space between the light e saddle and the b string saddle. Can the light e saddle be moved closer to the b saddle? the Bridge is called Edge original. Thank you so much for your reply!

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
saw that it looks moot from the photo, maybe different in person. Yes there might be a very-little-bit of wiggle room as the saddle is held by the one saddle block screw.

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts
No fret can be cut past the edge of the fretboard, they are shaved on the edge. It's a winter build that has widened with the heat and humidity, and will shrink back in the winter. I love winter builds.

42mm nut is not an option, unless you think you can find a 430mm radius top mount, best of luck.

If you move the saddle over it will just touch the B saddle and you will get saddle buzz, which you absolutely do not want.

If your only problem is with the high E shift the neck so the low E is closer to the edge. Technically it should visually look like the low E is closer to the edge anyway as technically it's the center line of each E string that are supposed to center the neck, I do prefer the visual alignment which is usually never an issue to anybody with these wider necks.

That somebody would have trouble with these wider 58mm heel necks is kinda ironic as many complain they want their old narrower 56mm heel necks back [which never left enough string room to the end of the fret].

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Try changing those crusty strings! When you're restringing, loosen the neck screws a bit and try pushing it a bit towards the treble side before locking it back down. Hopefully that solves your problem.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Try changing those crusty strings! When you're restringing, loosen the neck screws a bit and try pushing it a bit towards the treble side before locking it back down. Hopefully that solves your problem.
He's right, those strings are horrifying, they're like a frat house toilet bowl after curry night. Are you a secret bass player?

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts
I see summer wood expansion, I see nothing different about the bevel. You may see or conjecture anything you like.

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts
It's not, but you will not find even contraction on necks. In the winter you may only have to shave a few frets back, or in a certain spot, or all of them but not to the same degree. Wood doesn't always act as you'd expect it to.

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts
Then the EU is very strange. The humidity is in the Summer, along with heat, both swell. Cold and much lower humidity shrink which is why you get fret sprout in the Winter, not the Summer. If you get fret sprout in the Summer and not the Winter it must be one of those unexplained things like the toilets flushing counterclockwise in Australia.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts