Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone first time posting here.

So, I bought a rg652ahm couple of days ago. It's my first guitar with a floating bridge. I am only planning to learn basic setups like changing strings, adjusting action, adjusting spring tension etc(will leave neck relief, intonation and other intricate setups to the guitar tech). I have noticed the tremolo arm is extremely difficult to mount into the bridge. I only managed to push halfway in(one of the white plastic washer is still visible) and left as it is as I didn't want to damage bridge by exerting too much force. I asked one of my friend but he has screw in tremolo arm in his ibanez. Any suggestions for mounting that tremolo arm?

And other thing, is there an easy way to level bridge parallel to body without adjusting spring tension? I don't mind adjusting them when changing strings but what about during normal tuning? Will blocking tremolo before tuning help?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
There's a whole lot of ways to adjust a floating trem... First the trem arm. When the bushings are new... They're a bi+ch. Don't worry about exerting too much force, you just need to force it in. After a little while it will break in and be easier.

As for leveling the bridge, you have to match the spring tension and string tension. That takes time and experience to get down pact. Ibanezrules.com has a nice tutorial for doing this without temporarily blocking the bridge. If you prefer to block it you can get something like this...

Table Rectangle Sleeve Wood Collar

This however requires you to drill holes in your guitar. It can make it simpler to understand... But will not get you to a point where you aquire the skill of setting it up without it. Or you could get a trem wood block made for an edge trem to keep it level.... Oorrrr even a tremolo-no from all parts. That pic I posted is a cheap easy to use mod that allows you to temporarily block your bridge to make it a dive only setup so changing strings, setting intonation ect. can be done without losing your trem angle. But If your guitar is out of tune it's a skill you'll learn by doing. We can definitely answer any questions you may have. But I would start at Ibanezrules.com

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Some years ago, Ibanez fattened up those plastic arm bushings, probably because of the endless complaints of people saying they wore out too quickly. As a result, a fresh arm nowadays can be a bugger to push right in, just have to give it some welly. After some use, it'll mate to the arm socket and it should be easier to insert/remove.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Yeah, the bushings will wear out eventually. But, when they are snug, I can position the arm exactly where I want, unlike the OFR’sI have on my other guitars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.