1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Here're some pics of my RG 7 string swirl that is now finished:

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/album?.dir=/c1e5

To recap, it's a RG7620 body that I've swirled with black, white, red and purple. The neck I built myself with a reverse headstock swirled to match the body, and a mother-of-pearl vine on rosewood fingerboard. The shape of the neck is a bit fatter than an RG7; it feels more like the original Jem777 in shape. And it has Blaze pickups out of a Universe, but with the RG7620 pickup switching.
I'm really happy with it. When I first swirled it I wasn't happy about the white bubbles in the other colours, but now I've lived with it I think they just add to the uniqueness of the swirl. As with most swirls the pics don't do it justice (must get some proper pics taken one day), and it plays lovely. I've always loved reverse headstocks aswell but never had an Ibanez one.
Anyway, comments always welcome,
Regards,
Rich

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
not a huge swirl fan, but that one is classy.

bridge looks kinda jacked up in the pics. is that your set-up?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I love the neck/headstock !

In the close-up of the headstock it looks a bit like the nut is wider than the neck though. Is it just the picture or what ?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the kind comments so far.

JTM45 said:
In the close-up of the headstock it looks a bit like the nut is wider than the neck though. Is it just the picture or what ?
The nut is the same width as the neck (neck widths are standard Ibanez) - I just had another look at the pic, it might be that you're not seeing the pearl binding on the outside of the board. The board is a jem (six string) vine board with white binding, then a thin layer of wood, then pearl binding outside that and I think in the pic you might not be seeing the widest part of the binding, and are seeing the white binding as the outside edge of the neck.

Been playing it today - still like it lots!

·
Registered
414 Posts
wow, ONLY swirl i like!
awesome, its extremely classy, not as loud as 99% of the swirls out there...(remembers, its just my opinnion)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well I'm gonna go partially against the grain here. I LOVE swirls. But I will agree with the other part of their comments... that one is sweet.

·
Registered
688 Posts
No doubt! Beautiful! I'm just so-so on swirls, but THAT is gorgeous. It goes so well with the neck. Very, very nice work!

(Idea- E-mail Dimarzio, and they'll send you chrome hex polepieces for those pickups free of charge. I think chrome polepieces would match the grey/white in the swirl SO WELL.)

Either way, it looks terrific.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ibanezrocker61 said:
I was wonderin, why is the Lo-pro angled so far up?
It's funny, you're the second person to comment on that, and it is angled a bit more than I would normally have it. I usually set mine up with the flat bottom plate (and therefore knife edges) at a slight angle - just feels more comfortable for me than with it completely flat, although at the moment this one is a bit too far. It usually takes me a couple of days with a new guitar to get it feeling just right - they always seem to 'settle' a bit over the first few days, so I usually continue to tinker with trem angles, action, intonation, truss rod, trem springs, etc, until it's right.
Thanks again for all your comments so far.
cheers,
Rich
(And nice idea about chrome pole-pieces for the pickups - I didn't know dimarzio would do that?!)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.