Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Okay, I'm in the middle of a load of projects at the moment, and I thought it was about time I shared a few pics of them, so here's one (other pics in other threads in other parts of the forum).

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/album?.dir=/9aab

This is a RG7421XL that had a broken neck that I bought off e-bay a little while ago (it turned out it used to be Jim Soloways). I've now stripped the body, filled in the neck pickup cavity to make it single-coil size, and added a flame maple veneer to the top. Next it'll be stained and cleared. Now I've just got to make a new neck!!!!

cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
what do you plan on doing with the neck? There's a way to order a new neck from Ibanez; you have to send in your old one, and pay for the new one, but at least you get a new neck.

It's documented somewhere on Sevenstring.org.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Polaris20 said:
what do you plan on doing with the neck? There's a way to order a new neck from Ibanez; you have to send in your old one, and pay for the new one, but at least you get a new neck.
Unless the neck is structurally compromised as a whole, why not just repair the old neck? I've glue back on more than one headstock for guitars that have been accidentally dropped on their headstocks.

I'm in the process of customizing my 7621. Mine's going to have a quilted maple top though. Have to snap some progress pics of mine soon.

-R

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Polaris20 said:
There's a way to order a new neck from Ibanez; you have to send in your old one, and pay for the new one, but at least you get a new neck.
Thanks, I hadn't thought of trying that, except that I bet it'd be expensive, and seeing as I enjoy making stuff anyway and can get the neck and fingboard blanks cheap, I think I'll stick with doing it myself. I think it'll be a plain maple board with just two small dots at the 12th.

And in answer to the other question, the old neck is wrecked - the headstock is off completely and some has tried to remove the fingerboard and split it, etc, etc. So definitely time for a new neck.
cheers,
Rich

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Bluestreak said:
I've glue back on more than one headstock for guitars that have been accidentally dropped on their headstocks.
you do know that each neck should only have one headstock, right? :lol:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
so... i got a laugh out of you. you now owe me one homemade neck, seeing as you can build them and i can't.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just stained the body (but not cleared it yet, so it looks very 'matt' at the moment), pics in the same place as the link above:

Just started on the neck aswell - laminated maple with two bubinga strips for a bit of added strength. Gonna veneer and stain the front of the headstock the same as the body, and have a maple fingerboard with just a 12th fret inlay.
cheers,
Rich

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Flobanez said:
So he's going reversed headstock? Nice. ;)
I think Tubarão was talking about the RG7620 swirl that's in another thread... but...this one is having a reverse headstock aswell (I was going for the look of the old RG565 with a humbucker in the bridge, s/c in the neck and a reverse headstock). There's some pics here of the neck so far, and the fingerboard blank:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts