Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look, I know it says "prestige" on the headstock... but... "really"? I understand the CST has the piezo and... well thats about it really. The RG7CT still has the rosewood laminated headstock, the double laminated back side over the volute, the high end features, and the *Extremely* limited production run of .. the number changes every week, but lets call it 12 this week.

So, yes its a "prestige", I can read the headstock. I just dont understand what's the separation here? Why make a ridiculously high end spot model almost identical to its similarly named "J custom" variant and down grade it to "prestige" nomenclature?

At any rate, Im not much of a photographer so I'll use these, but heres mine. There was someone on reverb with one almost identical, perhaps is on here?

Basically, I cant stand the neck on this thing lol. I have a couple lesser models (7621/7420/7620/GIO7 :D) as well, probably getting rid of the 7621 as I just never ever play it, the 7420 is my favorite 7 string neck I've played on (3 piece version, MIJ). I have a full custom RG7 as well, but thats its own thing. So I love the 7420 neck, the single piece 7620 necks are quite decent, and I really dont like the RG7CT neck at all lol. Its like stupid flat. I had an RG7321 years and years ago, and it reminds me oh so much of that actually. Somehow, I've never played a universe, of any kind. Knowing I enjoy the 7420 neck so much and hate the super flat RG7 neck, would there be a different j custom option, ala 8127 that would suit me, or would an specific era of universe be good? Kinda difficult to "Try those out" honestly. Absolutely not a fan of the new(Er) prestige 7 strings. Not super into the Saber 7 strings, unless I can find another 540s7 (yeah right... lol).

OH, I have tried the premium universe and the premium bowen 7. Both kind felt like the same neck if Im bein honest; wasnt thrilled with either of them. That said, Im dubious that the premium universe would have the same neck as a real one for some reason anyway. Aesthetically, the RG7CT is cream of the crop for me. Offset dots, figured maple top, no goofy vines or tress running amok on the fretboard (sorry just not my thing lol; quite actually a deal breaker for me). The 8127 looks intriguing to me (duh), but Im kinda concerned its just going to be the "same" guitar?

Any input much appreciated, cheers

Attachments

·
Vendor
26,498 Posts
The J Custom shop made quite a few of the "Prestige" models. Why call them Prestige? Who knows, who knows why Japan does alot of what they do. And for production I'd call it 48 minimum. There was a time long ago when there was always one on Yahoo Japan.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The J Custom shop made quite a few of the "Prestige" models. Why call them Prestige? Who knows, who knows why Japan does alot of what they do. And for production I'd call it 48 minimum. There was a time long ago when there was always one on Yahoo Japan.
I always thought there was the "RG7CT" and then another japanese only specific variant like a RG7VV-1 or something like that. Fundamentally the same, sure, just named different? Or are these names interchangeable? Just thought it was weird for the separation is all. Seems like people are holding on to theirs more and more then lol. Ah well, mines arguably the coolest one of the bunch at any rate :D

Where those "puzzle top" ones quote "Prestige" (*wink wink*) models too? Cant really think of anything that immediately jumps to mind

·
Registered
141 Posts
Oh cool, you bought Angel Vivaldi's old guitar? It was also previously owned by Pat Sheridan of Fit for an Autopsy, IIRC. Interesting about the neck, I wonder how it compares to the neck on his Charvel sig?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh cool, you bought Angel Vivaldi's old guitar? It was also previously owned by Pat Sheridan of Fit for an Autopsy, IIRC. Interesting about the neck, I wonder how it compares to the neck on his Charvel sig?
Equally bad ;) Take that for what you will haha. The name is familiar, but Im not quite sure. Angel was actually the person that got me into 7 strings; eventually anyway. Long story there lol, but he was on a site with me called guitar-guitar.com , along with a couple other "notables" actually lol; but he played jemfest and stuff and wrote all this cool music and I was this young impressionable child at the time lol. Eventually some point later on, I stumbled across him again, and he was just jammin on some universe he bummed from a friend and I was HOOKED. Fast forward a bit, and he gets this beautiful RG7, and from then on, every so often Id bug him to buy it. Years and years of this actually; was basically a meme. Then he gets picked up by charvel (???) then naturally I ask again and hes basically like "ok then." My heart stopped and I was so excited. He made me wait like 2 months to get the damn thing, and I finally get it and unbox it, slide out that gorgeous UV1000C, flip it open and ... its disgusting lol. Like covered in Angel filth from probably years of playing. "No". Im not THAT kinda fan haha. I cleaned it and plugged her in... and man I hated it haha. I was so freaking bummed actually; that neck and I just did not get along what so ever. It got so bad that I put that 7420 neck that I love on her haha. But is what it is at this point.

And obviously, its just not my cup of tea is all, clearly not a "quality" thing of course. I cant stand JP7's either for that matter. I'd probably kill for a 7 string Axis model though....

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sorry that after all the wait it just wasn't your cup of tea, but damn if that isn't a cool story! Thanks for sharing that.

I love how goofy it looks with the plain jumbo dot markers :smile_big:

·
Vendor
26,498 Posts
the 7-1VV only differed in they are branded JC with a JC serial number. The neck joint always gives away a JC, no matter what it's badged it'll have a JC AANJ.

I had better CT's 8O

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had better CT's 8O
:DonaldTrumpSayingWrongMeme:

Sorry that after all the wait it just wasn't your cup of tea, but damn if that isn't a cool story! Thanks for sharing that.

I love how goofy it looks with the plain jumbo dot markers :smile_big:
Lol, is what it is, but yeah I probably would have preferred to enjoy playing her haha. The 7420 neck was half a meme, but eventually swapped it back over.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 7CT's were cream of the crop, had the J-C AANJ (same as the 4 JCRG-3VV's I had, lol). Even side by side with my RG8527 the CT was a cut above. They were done very close to the Texas Special era where Ibanez was concerned that there might not be a market for a "high end Japanese guitar" and spammed the Prestige label on a lot of J-C level/spec'd instruments. I think I bugged Rich Harris years back when he had some used stock, almost bought one but ended up finding one locally for $725, couldn't pass it up! Also, first post in like 20 years, feels good to be back, shame I couldn't keep my old username, the email it was attached to is LONG gone ☹

As far as necks go, the RG7CT felt pretty much the same as the RG2027X I had, and MAYBE 1mm thicker than the RG7620GN I had. The RG7420's had the Wizard II-7 neck. You would find that on tons of non-prestige 7 strings, sadly, most of the Prestige models are going to be the same 430mmR that you aren't jiving with on the 7CT. Personally, I barely feel the difference between 15.75 and 17" radius necks, but those Wizard II-7's are a bit rounder, which for some people could make all the difference. The JCRG7-1's, 8527's, and all the J-C's, and most of the Prestige models, are the same as what you've got now.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 7CT's were cream of the crop, had the J-C AANJ (same as the 4 JCRG-3VV's I had, lol). Even side by side with my RG8527 the CT was a cut above. They were done very close to the Texas Special era where Ibanez was concerned that there might not be a market for a "high end Japanese guitar" and spammed the Prestige label on a lot of J-C level/spec'd instruments. I think I bugged Rich Harris years back when he had some used stock, almost bought one but ended up finding one locally for $725, couldn't pass it up! Also, first post in like 20 years, feels good to be back, shame I couldn't keep my old username, the email it was attached to is LONG gone ☹

As far as necks go, the RG7CT felt pretty much the same as the RG2027X I had, and MAYBE 1mm thicker than the RG7620GN I had. The RG7420's had the Wizard II-7 neck. You would find that on tons of non-prestige 7 strings, sadly, most of the Prestige models are going to be the same 430mmR that you aren't jiving with on the 7CT. Personally, I barely feel the difference between 15.75 and 17" radius necks, but those Wizard II-7's are a bit rounder, which for some people could make all the difference. The JCRG7-1's, 8527's, and all the J-C's, and most of the Prestige models, are the same as what you've got now.
Lol, I've heard so many mixed reviews regarding the RG7CT. I own/have owned quite a large number RG7's, primarily RG7621's and RG7620's. I bought this RG7420 in question because it was 200$ and I could tell it had dimarzios in it. The neck was the 3 piece one with the bubinga stripe down the middle. It most definitely feels very different. The one piece 762X necks I have experience with were a touch thicker, which is fine, but nothing I've ever been like "WWWOOOOOWWWW" about. The 7420 neck? WOW! It almost has this strange soft and subtle "v" shape to it. By far my favorite RG7 neck.

I also own an RG7321, and the RG7CT neck feels identical to it! Its crazy! Its very flat and thin. I genuinely dont enjoy it lol. Beautiful guitar though...

I've tried a few 752's out, didnt jive with them. Certainly different from the RG7CT neck though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts