Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi guys i just got my first ibanez. Its a rga 121; maple neck, rosewood finger board, maple top mahogany body. I got it used in perfect condition for 400! however it has vintage very low out put pups. I need to swap them out asap. I kno i want dimarzios but can't make my mind. Since i'm new to ibanez's i could really use your guys help.

I play mostly metal and prog rock. I want my neck pup to have warm sustain that goes for days and a nice crunch but very controlled not muddy. I good clean sound in the neck is also very important to me.

For the bridge i also wants something that can handle good bit of gain and be very controlled so your hear every palm mute separately.

I was thinking bout a breed in the neck bridge and a d sonic or super 3 in bridge what does guys think. I'm open to anything.

I play out of a jsx head and have a darker sounding schecter with blackouts so i want this guitar to sound totally diff. Thnks

also what color cover combo do you think would look good with the natural maple and wanna give it little more stage presence. think bout black/purple if i can find them

·
Registered
317 Posts
hi guys i just got my first ibanez. Its a rga 121; maple neck, rosewood finger board, maple top mahogany body. I got it used in perfect condition for 400! however it has vintage very low out put pups. I need to swap them out asap. I kno i want dimarzios but can't make my mind. Since i'm new to ibanez's i could really use your guys help.

I play mostly metal and prog rock. I want my neck pup to have warm sustain that goes for days and a nice crunch but very controlled not muddy. I good clean sound in the neck is also very important to me.

For the bridge i also wants something that can handle good bit of gain and be very controlled so your hear every palm mute separately.

I was thinking bout a breed in the neck bridge and a d sonic or super 3 in bridge what does guys think. I'm open to anything.

I play out of a jsx head and have a darker sounding schecter with blackouts so i want this guitar to sound totally diff. Thnks

also what color cover combo do you think would look good with the natural maple and wanna give it little more stage presence. think bout black/purple if i can find them
Like Oilpit said, if you want a D Sonic in the bridge, go with an Air Norton in the neck. It's a better match.

I had a D Sonic (replacing the Breed DP166 in the bridge) and Breed (neck, DP165) in my RG and in the end the Breed was useless. I would use the D Sonic for everything.

If you really like the Breed in the neck, use it with another Breed in the bridge or an Evo 2.

If you only play metal, Super 3 and Super 2 are a great combo.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I have two RGA121s and an RGA321. I have a D-Sonic and Air Norton in one of the 121s and they do indeed sound pretty good, in my other 121 and the 321 I have the Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups. I also play mainly metal and progressive/hard rock, and play through a 5150.

BY FAR my favorite pick up combo on the market right now for a Mahogany/Maple guitar is the Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups. You CANNOT make the pickups get flubby: they have a super tight refined low end, screaming but silky smooth highs, and fantastic articulation across all six strings. They're HOT, HOT, HOT too. Much higher output than anything else I have except maybe an X2N, and they're not noisy in the least (even through the 5150 which is saying quite a bit). In terms of cleans, the neck pickup cleans up very nicely if you roll off the volume a bit, and with the 5 way you can get some really fantastic strat type clean sounds.

As far as color goes, my 321 is the FBX and one of the 121s is the NTF, so I put black and cream zebras in them, and I must say it looks quite classy. The other 121 is the VLF, and the Dimarzio's in it are both black.

I highly recommend you look into the Suhr pickups. They're a little more expensive than Dimarzios (I paid $93 each for mine), but you will seriously love these pickups in an RGA.

One thing to note about the Suhrs, they have square tabs so you do have to snip them with some tin snips to get them to fit in the triangular pickup slots. It's very easy to do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like Oilpit said, if you want a D Sonic in the bridge, go with an Air Norton in the neck. It's a better match.

I had a D Sonic (replacing the Breed DP166 in the bridge) and Breed (neck, DP165) in my RG and in the end the Breed was useless. I would use the D Sonic for everything.

If you really like the Breed in the neck, use it with another Breed in the bridge or an Evo 2.

If you only play metal, Super 3 and Super 2 are a great combo.
what direction would you put the d sonic in? blade toward bridge or neck?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have two RGA121s and an RGA321. I have a D-Sonic and Air Norton in one of the 121s and they do indeed sound pretty good, in my other 121 and the 321 I have the Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups. I also play mainly metal and progressive/hard rock, and play through a 5150.

BY FAR my favorite pick up combo on the market right now for a Mahogany/Maple guitar is the Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups. You CANNOT make the pickups get flubby: they have a super tight refined low end, screaming but silky smooth highs, and fantastic articulation across all six strings. They're HOT, HOT, HOT too. Much higher output than anything else I have except maybe an X2N, and they're not noisy in the least (even through the 5150 which is saying quite a bit). In terms of cleans, the neck pickup cleans up very nicely if you roll off the volume a bit, and with the 5 way you can get some really fantastic strat type clean sounds.

As far as color goes, my 321 is the FBX and one of the 121s is the NTF, so I put black and cream zebras in them, and I must say it looks quite classy. The other 121 is the VLF, and the Dimarzio's in it are both black.

I highly recommend you look into the Suhr pickups. They're a little more expensive than Dimarzios (I paid $93 each for mine), but you will seriously love these pickups in an RGA.

One thing to note about the Suhrs, they have square tabs so you do have to snip them with some tin snips to get them to fit in the triangular pickup slots. It's very easy to do.
yea i'll def look into them. they sound great but i'm not sure looking for a super super hot pick up cuz i need those crystal clear jazzy and bluezy tones. MY genre or choice is prog metal but since i play in a cover band also that does muse and silversun puckups i'm looking for some really versatile pups. any other suggestions?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts