Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I played a RGA121 Violen color today. I was very dissapointed in it. While the neck itself felt good, the string where dead, it kept going out of tune bigtime, and the pickups where just garbage. I was hoping this would be a nice investments, however I am dissapointed. Anyone else actually try one of these?

BTW they vendor just took it out of the box, and set it up, I even tuned it a bit myself. It just kept going out of tune.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Guitars fresh out of the box generally have dead strings. you never know how long a guitar has been sitting in a warehouse so I'd check that guitar later when the strings have been changed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ibanez' tend to need to be re-set up out of the box for sure. I've played a few rga121's and I think they're cool guitars. Pickups need to be changed of course, but thats standard on everything except the highest end stuff. My 2 cents.

·
Vendor
26,381 Posts
Going out of tune, as in the strings were never stretched? Reviews from people that don't know guitar basics should be taken with a huge grain of salt [the size of the worlds biggest ball of string]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As for the strings being stretched, I did that myself, just to make sure. Tuned up the guitar, and hit a few simple power chord, whala, goes out of tune again. I don't know maybe I just got a problem guitar to try, as I have tried a RG2550 from the same shop, that guitar totally rocked, it felt great and sounded great. I did plug into the same amp so I don't think thats a problem.

Since I am new to looking at Ibanez's maybe you can give me some tips on what to look for.

·
Vendor
26,381 Posts
It's a hardtail with MB500 tuners [Gotoh's best]. The only way to make a hardtail with good tuners go out of tune is

strings not stretched enough
user error, detuning to pitch
possible binding in nut after bending strings.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe I'll have to try and find another one at a different store, if I could do that. My question is the RGA321 a gloss finish as the RGA121 is no gloss finish?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never looked at that. I will drop by its right be my work and check it out again. If I do buy one, I'll get it from Ibanez Rules, at least it will be setup correctly.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I've got a semi-stupid question about the new RGA121 and RGA321. Is the bridge on those guitars one solid piece of metal? And do the guitars string through body? I can't seem to find either of them at the local guitar stores around here. I REALLY want one of those RGA321s but they're just soooo freakin' expensive I might just have to see if I can buy a prestige neck and stick it on a regular RG321 without any modding. Then I'd atleast get a mahogany-bodied fixed bridge guitar with a great neck.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I played a natural RGA121 at Scam Ash, and it was amazing. Very vibrant, resonant, even before being plugged in. A very nice instrument. If I were in the market for another 6 string, I'd definitely get it, and through in some Breeds or PAF's.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
lyconxero said:
I've got a semi-stupid question about the new RGA121 and RGA321. Is the bridge on those guitars one solid piece of metal? And do the guitars string through body?
The bridge is adjustable, it just has those bits either side of each saddle to make it feel more like an Edge to players used to that style. The strings don't go through the body, but in my experience that deadens rather that enhances vibration, because the string is bent several times before leaving the saddle.

I played an RGA321 on the weekend and it was hands down one of the best Ibanezes I've ever played. The sustain was very strong and the stock Dimarzio/IBZ pickups sounded great with that combination of woods. I also played a 3120 and 2550 that same day and they were both turkeys.

Personally I wouldn't go to the hassle of getting a Prestige neck for a 321, I'd just get a decent fret job on the 321 neck.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
The RG321 has a flat, standard RG body. The RGAs have arched tops. Big difference in tone.

I have a RG321 that I loaded with Dimarzios. I bought it for rehearsal and drop tunings at gigs. It could use a touch-up on the frets, but for the price it can't be beat.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the VLF121.... the nut was poorly set up at the factory...I let my tech tweak it..

The RGAs need seriously need the nut set up... before I had mine done the guitar was stiff as hell and wouldn't stay in tune... after the setup...it completely changed the whole feel of the guitar.

whoa... slinkier bends than my trem guitars with the stability, super low action, AWESOME tone..... I'm putting in some dimarzios(came in today)... bends are so much better with a fixed bridge.... way easier.

It's a pickup combination I've been working on after many years of looking that I really love. The fretwork was good enough although they could have been polished better..... the action is as low as I can stand it, and I could still put it lower without probs.

I LOVE the VLF.. that is one of the most resonant, bell like tone guitars I've ever had the pleasure of playing(I like the VLF the best out of the RGAs), it feels alive in your hands.., and IMO sounded more alive than the finished version(I actually had the blue top there, and ordered the VLF), maybe it's just this guitar... anyway, don't hesitate on the RGA series, just make damn sure you get the nut set up right by someone you know will do a good job.

I still get some slight binding, but I'm gonna try some nut sauce... This guitar kicks ass.....it feels alive in your hands, maybe I'll buy another hehe....

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Petie said:
Personally I wouldn't go to the hassle of getting a Prestige neck for a 321, I'd just get a decent fret job on the 321 neck.
Thanks for the reply! Getting a decent fret job on a RG321 won't change the dimensions of it and that's really what I want to change. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Wizard Prestige neck. The Wizard II necks are okay but maybe just a little wider than I need them to be. The RG321 is a very decent guitar (and very affordable) and I just figured it would be cheaper to throw a Prestige neck on one of them. I don't actually NEED to have a 15mm maple top (or I should say, I can't afford to have such a thing). I just want something that's awesome to play that I can throw some EMGs into (my favorite new pickups at the moment) and change tunings at the drop of a hat with.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Try it at another shop. One that has been setup and is on the wall, not from a box :)

Probably just because it's been sitting in a warehouse for a bit and it's not getting any playing or whatever.

Try one that's gone through a few players or whatever. Probably would be a vast impovement.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I tried out 2 of these... the first one at the first store played well and sounded good, the second one at another music store did not do either.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I encountered tha same problem on the RGA I bought 2 months ago.

When I tried it in the store, it always seemed to be out of tune. I asked a digital tuner to the owner of the shop.

I checked the tuning of each string: OK!
I checked the intonation using the 12th fret Vs harmonic technic: OK!

The guitar still sounded out of tune.

I then had the idea to check nut heigth : WAY TOO HIGH! The string slots weren't deep enough. So when fretting a string in the lower half of the neck, I actually bended it out of tune.

It was immediatly fixed by the shop tech using filler gauge! The guitar just rocked and I bought it!

I suggest you check that on the model you tried! Extreme caution is however required during filling operation as a slot filled too deeply cannot be easily fixed!!!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts