Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have playing both of these guitars for the last 2 weeks at a local shop and love them both.

So now I am looking for your opinion? I know it is hard to compare these guitars because of their significant differences, but what do you think?

Which should I go with?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is my problem. I really do love both guitars for different reasons. Both seem the same quality and the craftsmanship on both is great.

They both appeal to me in very different ways.

I am leaning toward the RGA321 because I can get it for the same price as the PGM301.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
What kind of pickups does the PGM301 come with? I know that the RGA321 comes with V pickups and if the PGM comes with PAF Pros then I might go with that if the price is the same.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The PGM301 comes with PAF Pros and a Jem single coil pickup. The PGM301 will hold it's value better too. I personally don't like the change in the neck profiles for the 05 models. But if I had to choose between the two I'd definitely take the PGM301. --Jason

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
i have a hard time getting past the painted-on f holes on the pgm's. so for me the rga wins by default.

·
Registered
238 Posts
giannifive said:
That's RG*A*321
Sorry dident see the *A* in there.

I have been using the 301 for about a year now and its a great guitar but it has a really annoying problem. The string Ferules at the back of the Guitar fall out whenever i change the strings. Its not so bad if im at home but if im at a gig
i have to worry about breaking a string and the Ferule pinging off into someones Pint.

Also the RGA has the Gibraltar Bridge instead of the standard one

·
Registered
881 Posts
the pgm screams paul gilbert, no matter what style you're playing. i couldn't play that guitar on stage. sort of like a jem 7vwh.....

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I totally agree with you there. That's another reason why I'm not big on signature models. I'd rather take a normal guitar and mod it to suit MY needs.

·
Registered
477 Posts
bates said:
Sorry dident see the *A* in there.

I have been using the 301 for about a year now and its a great guitar but it has a really annoying problem. The string Ferules at the back of the Guitar fall out whenever i change the strings. Its not so bad if im at home but if im at a gig
i have to worry about breaking a string and the Ferule pinging off into someones Pint.

Also the RGA has the Gibraltar Bridge instead of the standard one
During your next string change just give the ferrules a light coat of glue, something like white Elmers glue, to hold them in place. Problem solved. --Jason

·
Registered
238 Posts
vette6600 said:
the pgm screams paul gilbert, no matter what style you're playing. i couldn't play that guitar on stage. sort of like a jem 7vwh.....
I suppose it depends on where you live. In England nobody really knows who PG is so its not so bad. If he was popular over here i would not use it on stage because people would be expecting some spectacular technical display

·
Registered
238 Posts
Indeed it has. And the Maple is not the same as the 550 Maple. Its much better quality with wallnut streaks in it.

Also you can do the Eruption divebomb with the low E machine head a lot easier with the reverse Headstock...haha

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.