Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of changing the stock Dmz/Ibz Pus from my RGA321. I don't play with huge amounts of distortion - more like what most people would call overdrive. The sort of humbucking sounds I like best would be early 70s vintage Gibson type sounds through driven Marshall JTM45 'plexi' type sounds: AC/DC, early UFO (Michael Schenker on lead), that sort of thing.

The choice of after-market PUs out there is huge, any help on PUs that would give me that sound anyone??

No clever remarks like, " go buy yourself a Gibson SG" please!

I imagine Dimarzio PAF, PAF Pro, or maybe Schaller 'Vintage' style would be the right sort of thing, but it could be an expensive mistake!

Help!

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
I put a PAF Pro in the neck and a Duncan JB in the bridge, just trimmed the square tabs off so it'd fit. I still need to add the caps for the Dimarzio but otherwise it sounds great to me.

~Bones

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use DMZ the breed in neck and Tonezone for bridge as advise from this forum.
It's fitted me. Not too bright - more warm sound and when you dial tone it's sound fantastic warm.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Mine has a Duncan 59 in the neck and Custom 5 in the bridge. The tabs were very easy to trim with a pair of tin snips. I good pair of wire cutters would probably work as well.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'd try the DiMarzio Air Classic. I tried some recently and they were really great. Have a lot of character and that sweet midrange that reminded me of an original '59 LP I'd tried not long before.
Really great pups. DiMarzios should have the triangular tabs stock.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
So what did you decide to roll with?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a PAF Pro in the bridge position and HS-2 and HS-3 for neck and middle (HSS configuration). Anyway, I really like the PAF Pro as it goes from dirty to clean pretty well. I've got a 5 position strat style switch, which allows for the "out-of-phase" sound in positions 2 and 4. I use those positions quite a bit for a nice twangy clean sound (like SRV, but even on Steve Vai "Sisters"). You may consider replacing your volume pot with a pull pot (pot with switch you can pull up on) so you can mix up your pickup combinations, like splitting pickup coils (such as mixing the bottom neck coil with the top bridge coil ro change phase polarity). If you are interested in this, no mods are necessary for your guitar (i.e. no drilling) and you should be able to find useful wiring diagrams online.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are lots of options, but I would go with one of these two combos.

JB/59
Pearly Gates/59
For the above do you mean: bridge/neck respectively (e.g. PG in Bridge / 59 in neck), or neck/bridge?

I haven't fully made up my mind but I'm thinking PG in Bridge, or maye an air norton; and maybe an SD JB in the neck.

I'm still very open to ideas though.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah I meant bridge/neck respectively.

I've never tried a JB in the neck position, but I'd love to hear what that sounds like.
You could also go for a 59/59 setup, it should handle classic rock tones with ease.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
DiMarzio PAF Pro's, they have a more medium output or
DiMarzio Air Classics or PAF 36th's they have a more vintage output

someone might have have said these already but oh well

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree.
I had an S with JB and Jazz SD's and I could get those ACDC, Lenny K., Led Zepp sounds spot on.
Just the sort of classic sounds I'm after, plus the potential for some overdriven ultra-harmonicy ZZtop perhaps.

My RGA is quite 'dark' sounding, and I think it may the the high-ish output stock PUs, or perhaps the African Mahogany/maple capped body; or both!

Leaning toward SD PG in bridge and 59/JB/Jazz in neck. Not sure if PG, which is slighty warmer in tone than a 59, will be slightly too dark? Without buying more PUs than I need, it's a toughy!!

Help.

Thanks for all the advice anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts