Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone,

I bought the guitar mentioned in the subject a few days ago. First of all: I'm quite impressed, it does what it's supposed to. Sounds great and plays like a dream.
I have a question about the fretboard wood. It is stated as "Makassar Ebony".
However, it is completely black with no brown spots/streaks. In addition, it is not as fine-pored as my other ebony fingerboards, but rather resembles rosewood in structure.

What exactly is Ibanez doing here? Is dyed Makassar ebony used? How could I find out?

Being from Germany, I e-mailed the german Ibanez distributor, but recieved a short answer, that they just can't tell, because they have no insight into procurement and production. A quite unsatisfactory answer.

Thanks and best regards
Chris
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument accessory Guitar accessory String instrument

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, that was quick and clear!

Do they dye the wood, because the market accepts it better that way?
In this case I really think it helps that strict black-and-white concept of the guitar. Otherwise I would prefer it undyed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
First of all, that's an awesome looking guitar, so congrats on that! But I agree with you, the pores look a lot more like rosewood than ebony to me, too. I don't have any reason to doubt what Ibanez (or Rich) say, and maybe ebony sometimes look like this? The few fretboards I've had, and others I've seen, have been much less porous, more silky smooth looking. And I think that's what you normally see on a violin, viola, etc., when they use ebony. I wonder whether Ibanez substituted rosewood for some reason, and that's why it's dyed? In any case it looks great, and IMHO there's little to no functional difference between ebony and rosewood anyway, it's pretty much just aesthetics.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I just bought a cheap Sterling by MusicMan stingray bass. The descriptions on several sites say the fretboard is Jatoba. But the fingerboard wood doesn’t have the reddish/Orange color that most of the Ibanez guitars than I’ve seen have.

The pores are really tight and the color is really dark, almost black. Looks like a nice dark piece of Rosewood. The grain looks like rosewood, and it is dark like induced Macassar ebony. We will see if it is dyed, when I play it and my fingers turn black.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts