Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I'd go with either the RG3120 or the RG8270. Different feeling necks though.

Not a huge fan of the RGT220H, as I find the neck to feel too round and chunky. Not a bad neck but not quite my thing. Neck-thru really isn't all that much better, but it is nice to play high up. The J-Custom heel joint isn't a standard AANJ heel and is contoured more so it almost feels like a neck thru.

I had an RGT2020 in the guitar shop I used to work at (essentially the exact same guitar with an extra '0' in the model number), and for some strange reason it sounded tonally dead acoustically and basically just felt dead to the touch. Even tried one at another music shop and it was the same. Maybe I'm spoiled with my RG8670 and my neck-thru JCRG-2 but there's no reason why an RG1570 sounded better tonally.

(neck-thru construction doesn't mean it's 100% better than a bolt on, nor does it always equate to an immensely higher amount of sustain)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I find Swamp Ash to be a great tone wood and would probably take the Swamp Ash winged version over the mahogany version. The tonal change between the swamp ash wings and the mahogany wings isn't as drastic as on a bolt on so even though it's brighter it's not a huge amount of brightness added.

Also not too keen on the 'new' 18mm wizard necks. The super wizard necks were bearable for me, but I' have to stick with whatever those neck profiles are on the J-Customs(both types). The only wizard necks I've ever liked were the original wizard necks before they introduced the super wizards with the bubinga stripe.

(ok.. I spoil myself too much with the JC's..)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a chance to play the RG220H and was a bit disappointed. The neck felt rather thick and round. I am looking for something with and thin and flat neck.

Now that the RG220H has been eliminated I am going to bring the RG1570 into the discussion. Is the RG1570 neck thin and flat? Would a modded RG1570 be up to par with an RG3120?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Penguin said:
I had a chance to play the RG220H and was a bit disappointed. The neck felt rather thick and round. I am looking for something with and thin and flat neck.

Now that the RG220H has been eliminated I am going to bring the RG1570 into the discussion. Is the RG1570 neck thin and flat? Would a modded RG1570 be up to par with an RG3120?
Thick and round?
Dunno what you're after, but much thinner and the thing would snap in a light breeze.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Just to add to the discussion, ALL prestige necks are identical for 2005... there is no difference between the necks on an RG1570 and RG3120... and the neck on the RG8270 has the exact same dimensions/profile as well. The RG8270 has better fretwork and a much better looking inlay ;-) The 2005 JEMs also have the same profile but have different fret wire (6105?). So if a guitar store near you has ANY Prestige necked guitars you can get a feel for what they're pretty much all like.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
The RG8270 and RG8170 neck even though SPEC WISE look like a wizard, the neck profile ISN'T a Wizard. I had a RG8270 for a bit before I sold it and it didn't feel anything like the neck on the RG1570.

Either way, I still love the necks on the RG8670 and the chunky neck on the RG8570.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Rich said:
The 1570 until this year was 17-19, this year it's 18-20, as are all [nearly] the necks. So if you tested the 8270 against an 05' 1570 they'de be very similar.
Precisely, which is why I specifically said the 2005 models. For 2005 there is only one Prestige neck profile across the entire line, and the same profile is used on the J Custom 8270. I actually just asked Rich at Ibanez Rules about the 2005 1570, JEM, and 8270 necks about two days ago.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.