Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 3 weeks time I will be getting an Ibanez RGT3120. I can find loads of info on this guitar but absolutely NO INFORMATION at all about the 2001 model.

The 2001 model looks identical to the 2002 model, but are they the same?

Any help/info/inks much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Rgt_Lover said:
The 2001 model looks identical to the 2002 model, but are they the same?
It should be identical. The only thing that's ever changed on that guitar is the Lo-Pro Edge was changed to an Edge-Pro in 2003.
You've definitely got the better one of the two, as long as you're not one of the 0.05% of people who prefers the Edge-Pro,lol.:)

Nice guitars!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
the serial may be 01, but more than likely its a 2002. us production for the rgt3120 was 02 and 03 only. supplanted by the rgt3020 in 04 and rgt320 in 05. the only differences for the rgt3120 from 02 to 03 were the trems and strap buttons. i have an rgt3120 from 02, and i prefer it better due to the lo-pro over the edge pro. just me, tho. strap buttons weren't an issue, either. i went with a dimarzio cliplock. the gotoh lockers are cool, tho. i ended up slapping tose on my sb900 s bass.
congrats on the axe, tho. you will be insanely happy with it.

rich

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts
>>Your serial number might indicate a year the guitar was not available. Typically you'll find serial numbers that indicate production the year or year before the guitar became officially available. In preparation for a model release the factory will produce as many as they believe they can immediately distribute so there are guitars available when the model is announced. <<<

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Considering many of the RGs I've seen don't state what model they are on the headstock, I'd assume the neck may have been made for something else in 2001 and used on that particular 3120 in 2002. Could just be a fluke or something... hell, even from a first batch made late in 2001 to sell in 2002?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Rich said:
>>Your serial number might indicate a year the guitar was not available. Typically you'll find serial numbers that indicate production the year or year before the guitar became officially available. In preparation for a model release the factory will produce as many as they believe they can immediately distribute so there are guitars available when the model is announced. <<<
Beat me to it : )

·
Registered
795 Posts
Right, 'cause my RGT3120TV also starts with an F01. I bet there are a ton out there with the '01 s/n. Don't think the info / years made / etc. is gospel, esp. with Ibanez.

-Ben

1 - 9 of 9 Posts